cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boondocking and using a Generator while sleeping ???

dotcommer
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2016 Class A Thor Challenger and I was going through the manual and it says to never run the generator while sleeping.

We have carbon monoxide detectors inside the RV, front and back and we will be boondocking on a few of the nights at Flying Jay's truck stops as we drive back to Arizona this week from the east coast.

We had the generator running while driving from Florida to Connecticut as it was hot during the day, and there seem to be no issues with the Generator and already boondocked one night and had the generator running all night. (this was before reading the manual)

Should I be scared to have the generator running while we sleep? As it will be hot in the evening during our trip?

Thanks
51 REPLIES 51

dotcommer
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Please don't camp next to us while running your generator all night. We've been exposed to generator exhaust and noise upwind from us which is very unpleasant with our windows open. Many CG's or RV parks do not allow it. What's wrong with ceiling or room fans and open windows.

If you read my post, this would only be at a truck stop, if I am in an RV Park, I would be hooked up to a 50amp circuit and no need for a generator.

MrWizard
yes it means the roof vent fans on exhaust
as that might pull in fumes from outside thru windows or floor and storage openings

IF I have the genny on night it is for A/C so i would not be using the roof vent fans

if i wanted the fans they would be on reverse AKA pushing air into the RV
aka positive pressure, NOT sucking air out
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Please don't camp next to us while running your generator all night. We've been exposed to generator exhaust and noise upwind from us which is very unpleasant with our windows open. Many CG's or RV parks do not allow it. What's wrong with ceiling or room fans and open windows.

If you read the post he’s in a flying j truck stop .. not a campground. If it’s 92 at 1 am as it is in many parts of the country currently and you can sleep with your windows open and no air conditioning ,in a truck stop, and be upset about a generator well ... ( I know your talking about a campground 🙂 and I get that)
To the op .. yes I think they are talking about running a ceiling fan with a window open pulling in fumes from the generator. purely CYA imo
we rarely have had to run the generator at night .. if we do we are in the wrong place!!! Way too hot! but we never worry about it if we have to , we do it and only when in a place appropriate, not next to a fellow camper. Best choice if it’s that hot, spend a few dollars , stop in a real campground not a flying j , with power , and better yet a pool!
??
Bill

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We run our generator at night if it's too hot to sleep with just the windows open. We do leave the bedroom window open an inch or so just to make sure that we have some fresh air coming in.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

dotcommer
Explorer
Explorer
There is also a statement in the book that says.

"Do not simultaneously run the Generator and Ventilator at the same time which could result in the entry of exhaust gas"
"

Do they mean the Ventilators on the roof to push air out of the coach? or are they talk about some other type of Ventilator

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I think it’s a CYA.
I always run mine while sleeping.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net