cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera install

Halibut214
Explorer
Explorer
Just a picked up my new Thor Chateau 22E this week-end and after a 500 mile trip absolutely love it. So now to my question... I'm going to install a rear view camera and while I have little doubt I can do it successfully I was looking for some tips/tricks that might make it a little easier. This is a two monitor system. My main question is where to route the wiring from the monitors. Not real keen on drilling holes until I know for sure its where they need to be.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
I mounted my backup camera inside the rear window. I ran the wire thru the cabinet below the window, thru the cabinet on the rear drivers side and in a wiring channel where the wall meets the floor. In my model Thor ran the wires in a channel created by a board at 45 deg to the wall and floor, yours may not have this.

It works for me.

I also mounted my camera inside the back window with great results.
Ran wire down through cabinets and actually through duct work all the way to the dog house.

w3ozwizard
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on wireless if you have not bought one already. Got mine off EBay delivered for $88.00 works great.
2009 Four Winds Majestic 28A

johngg
Explorer
Explorer
On my Monaco, all wireing is run inside the coach. They ran the loom (about an inch amd a half) around under the cab, then back up and around the water tanks, under the kitchen cabinets, under the tub through the back wall to their final destination.
There really are no wires under the coach.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have the system yet, I would suggest a wireless system that gets it power from the center marker lights. The monitor plugs into the cigarette lighter. Works good.
Bill and Joey the dog

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted my backup camera inside the rear window. I ran the wire thru the cabinet below the window, thru the cabinet on the rear drivers side and in a wiring channel where the wall meets the floor. In my model Thor ran the wires in a channel created by a board at 45 deg to the wall and floor, yours may not have this.

It works for me.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are plenty of wires that already go from the front/cab to the back of the RV. You should be able to route your wires with them. On my class C, there's a big bundle that goes more or less under the driver's door sill and then to the house part of the RV in the corner of the cab behind the driver's seat.

Not infrequently the brake light wires etc. are run along the frame rails, I think, and this would be one practical way of routing your video cable. It might be a good idea to put it in some split loom tubing or similar for protection from the elements if you do this. Alternately, you may be able to route it with the furnace or air conditioner ducts or interior plumbing/wiring if some of that is reasonably accessible. It really depends on the specific layout and construction of your RV what is or isn't easily feasible.

Halibut214
Explorer
Explorer
It's a wired system. I have no problem with wiring the monitor but drilling to run the wire from the cameras is what I'm not sure about.
Thanks

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
wired from camera to monitor or wireless? When you say "wiring from the monitors" it makes me think you're wiring their power. My camera is wireless. I wired the monitor's power into the fuse box under the drivers seat and fished the wires up thru the headliner trim.

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
I would call the manufacturer (or MHSRV in Texas) and try to find out how much space there is between the back wall of the shower and the outside back wall of the RV and if the stringers run vertically or horizontally.

Then if there is enough space, drill and mount the camera and run the wires down and out under the back of the coach and forward to the engine bay from there. Once in the engine bay, you can choose where to penetrate the firewall for the cables to the monitor.

Tim