cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I jump start my toad from my motor home?

CRJGal
Explorer
Explorer
We have found our toad battery dead, after towing the vehicle with the Unified Tow Brake hooked up. We had the battery (which is new) and the charging system tested, and everything is fine. Until we can figure out the cause of this problem, our question is this:

Can we jump start the toad from our 6 6-vol house batteries, or our chassis batteries? Is so, what is the correct procedure to perform this safely?

(Also, if anyone has any ideas about the discharge of our toad battery, we would appreciate it.)
21 REPLIES 21

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Went to Florida last fall and the new battery in our toad went dead from the Breaking system. I jumped started it off the 12 volt motorhome chassis battery. No problems

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
CRJGal wrote:
We have found our toad battery dead, after towing the vehicle with the Unified Tow Brake hooked up. We had the battery (which is new) and the charging system tested, and everything is fine. Until we can figure out the cause of this problem, our question is this:

Can we jump start the toad from our 6 6-vol house batteries, or our chassis batteries? Is so, what is the correct procedure to perform this safely?

(Also, if anyone has any ideas about the discharge of our toad battery, we would appreciate it.)

Your house batteries may be 6 volt but they are wired together as a 12V bank. Just be sure you connect the correct terminals (Positive on 1 battery and the negative connection on the second battery) so that you output 12V to the car.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of points. You can use either battery bank of the coach to jump (see below) the toad. The chassis batteries are a no brainer, since they are 12 VDC

If using the house bank, CAREFULLY find the positive going to the house and negative going to the house. If in doubt, verify with our voltmeter that it is 12 VDC.

The caution-- with modern vehicles, they can be very sensitive to voltage spikes.

So, best to connect the toad battery to coach battery. DO NOT ATTEMPT to start the toad. Let the battery charge up for 10-15 minutes-- longer if convenient. Then disconnect the jumper and start the toad.

Could you "jump start". Probably, but unless in a huge hurry, why chance it?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Yes. If you are really patient and the distance between the rv and the toad is a bit long you can connect the two jumper cables together to make one long one and charge the toad battery. leave the tow hitch in place to increase the ground side of the equation. Connect the long cables to the positives of each 12 volt system. DO NOT try to start the vehicle with this setup. The large demand could damage the wimpy grounds that might be in place. Let the battery charge for 30-60 minutes, disconnect and then start.

When you have time build a toad charging system to prevent damaging your toad battery due to constant drainage.

Some folks may come be doing back flips at my suggestion but it will work fine.

If you are close enough to do a normal jump start that is even better of course.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Rangerider
Explorer
Explorer
You can also run a charge line between the motorhome and the toad to keep the battery charged up.
Me & the Wife
2012 Thor Hurricane 32A
Future Toad: 2008 Honda CR-V

JohnBoyToo
Explorer
Explorer
What's the yr, mfg, and model of the toad?

bet it has some type of keep alive circuitry like radio , alarm, etc.... that drains the battery down...
knowing your toad, you can research THAT vehicle to see which fuse to pull (or where to put your switched jumper so you can turn it off)

barring that - stop every couple of hours and start the toad...

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Chassis battery + to + and - to -
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer