cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i replace a 55amp converter with a 35amp converter in motorhome if i only use it a few times a y

Michael6
Explorer
Explorer

5 REPLIES 5

Michael6
Explorer
Explorer

Was going to replace cause I already had a 35amp converter but I checked the 55amp that came in the motorhome with multimeter and it was 13.6V so I don't think that's the problem I'm new at this glamping thing I'm researching electrical systems I'll figure it out  eventually but thanks 4 the feedback mabe just battery neglect 

Down rating to a 35 Amp converter may not be an issue. Particularly if you camp plugged in. Where the 55 Amp pays off is for boondocking and only run your generator for short periods and need the converter to bring the batteries back up in the shortest amount of time.

A great resource for learning the electrical components is 12Volt Side of Life

And learning about the care and feeding of batteries is a science unto it's self. There have been essay's on the forum in the past on that subject.

'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

Sure, the only issue would be if you are pulling more than 35amps for extended periods of time. 

For a short period, the battery will supply any amperage over 35amps but if you do it for extended periods, the batteries will be drawn down until they are dead. 

Most RVs don't have anything that will pull over 35amps for hours off the 12v DC system.

The only other possibility is if you need to recharge a really big battery bank off a generator, it can cut generator run time. If you are plugged in overnight, it's pretty much a non-issue even for a quite large battery bank. 

We did exactly this for our 5th wheel when the existing unit went out and had to be replaced.  Sure the landing gear and levelers pull more than 35 amps but for less than a minute when in use, so no issue with the battery running down.

While it's not the end of the world, the 35amp model we bought is currently $100 on amazon, the 55amp model is $155. Since we don't need 55amp, why pay an extra $55.

How many times a year you use it is irrelevant.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III

Hi Michael6,

Yes, but why would you do so--the difference in cost is minimal. The 35 may have different anchor points. You won't save any power either.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.