cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can the roof AC be recharged ?

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Can the typical RV roof AC unit be recharged with Freon?
11 REPLIES 11

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
msmith1199 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Yes, they can. BUT, to NEED Freon, there has to be a leak in the metal sealed system. There are no rubber or any type seals that can leak like a home or Auto type system. So, if you need Freon, then you must FIND the leak, fix the leak, then install Schrader valves and evacuate and charge. THAT process takes more time and money than just replacing the upper unit. RV units have had this design for over 50 years. Doug

Thank you, I was going to ask that very question. So if it's low on Freon then there has to be a leak. Is it possible for the Freon just to go bad over time and need to be replaced?

No. Doug

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Yes, they can. BUT, to NEED Freon, there has to be a leak in the metal sealed system. There are no rubber or any type seals that can leak like a home or Auto type system. So, if you need Freon, then you must FIND the leak, fix the leak, then install Schrader valves and evacuate and charge. THAT process takes more time and money than just replacing the upper unit. RV units have had this design for over 50 years. Doug

Thank you, I was going to ask that very question. So if it's low on Freon then there has to be a leak. Is it possible for the Freon just to go bad over time and need to be replaced?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
On a previous MH I had a unit that got weak on cooling. Put a clamp-on fill valve on it and once a year put a small amount of R22 in it. As others have said, if you have to hire it done or you have a big leak, buy a new unit.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had our old A/C unit recharged by my neighbor who owns a commercial HVAC shop. He found a cracked line on mine, brazed it, installed a Schrader valve, vacuumed and recharged it. worked great! I agree though, having it done by a shop may not be worth it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was explained to me with the low cost of replacement and the high cost of labor and refrigerant they are designed as non rechargeable. You can cut and have a valve added and if ... A big if ......you can find the leak... Not always possible , you can recharge it . Having it done commercially is not worth it. These are now disposable commodities like it or not.
Bill

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
If you get to the Boise area, Western Heating & Air has a tech that is excellent on RV systems. Their price is reasonable and they guarantee their work.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
seems a shame that all the ducting is going to waste should the OP choose to obtain a free standing or window AC.

A cheap free standing unit is $200-$300. Not all of em perform like the more expensive units. Could be that the roof unit has more life in it and worth the investment. IMHO.

teddychamp
Explorer
Explorer
That right, by the time they are done, you could buy a new AC for a couple of Dollars more.
Fleetwood Bounder 39R 330hp Cummins Turbo Diesel
Freightliner Chasis
Ford Escape Limited - on ACME Towdolly

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I fixed a leak in my friend's A/C and it took me about 4 hours. At $150 per hour that a typical shop charges, it can get expensive. Add a couple of pounds of R-22, and $35 in materials, you can get up to the cost of a new unit pretty quickly.

You might try locating a local small appliance repair shop, and ask if they can repair your rooftop A/C. They might not charge as much. If they just solder on the fitting and then refill it, the charge might last anywhere from 3 days to a couple of years. You also need to locate the leak and repair it.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
yes by a regular ac tech he can put schredder valves on and recharge the unit