cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadian question about road laws and Class A motorhome

rsn48
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a used 1994 Winnebago Adventurer 32 in great shape, I'm loving it but I must confess the motor noise is a bit much when driving at highway speeds. But this isn't my issue.

When I and my wife snowbird south for the winter, do I conform to truck speeds on the interstate? And are there other laws, like having to stay in the right lane, do I need to know about.
21 REPLIES 21

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Drive the speed limit as cars use.

X2 I have only seen one state California where when towing my car I had to drive slower -
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

rsn48
Explorer
Explorer
I do have a Chevy engine and when I was driving with the original owner I asked him what that loud sound was, he said - "What noise....lol."

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Drive the speed limit as cars use.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have a Winnie But I was able to add some extra insulation under the dog house. This cut down a little on the noise but cut down a lot on the heat
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
No, you are not a truck. However, if you are towing something behind your MH, many states require that you obey truck limits. Some states, like California, try to spell it out with signs like ALL vehicles towing, speed limit 55 mph. Obey it. For some reason, RVers think the laws don't apply to them until they get a ticket.
Be sure to look at the speed laws for each state you are going through and if you are towing, make sure you are in compliance. By checking the laws before you leave, you should not have a problem. Good traveling!
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IF you have a Chevy Engine, then the motor noise is probably the Fan Clutch on the engine cooling fan. When that clutch engages, it sounds like you shifted Trans gears and a Cessna airplane is above you. The roar is unmistakable. But normal on Chevy drivetrains on Class A motorhomes. Doug

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
You are not a truck...... but I follow truck rules and lanes to be safe. Don't do the scales but just about everything else. Good judgement is important.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew