cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cape May reccomendations and the ferry

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to OC MD in June for a niece's wedding. The night of the wedding we are staying in the MH in my sister's driveway. But after that we thought we take a few days and spend Father's day weekend somewhere. We were thinking of heading to Cape May NJ for a few days. I have never been there. Looking at Seashore and Big Timber - both of which are owned by SUN RV resorts. they look nice. A few others came up. Any recommendations? Also, can you take the ferry in a MH? How does that work?
2013 ACE 29.2
11 REPLIES 11

bresdogsr
Explorer
Explorer
Have done the ferry many times with my 38' plus toad. No issues. Best to make a reservation. You will need to shut off the propane for the duration of the ferry ride.
We have stayed at Seashore multiple times. Very nice campground. I would suggest making a reservation soon since they book up due to being at the shore. Haven't stayed at Big Timber for several years. From what I remember, the sites are not real level and it is fairly dusty.
Any questions, send me a PM.
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
bullydogs1 wrote:
Effy, you won't have any issues at all getting to a site..with 30 feet.

Thanks, looks like a nice place.
2013 ACE 29.2

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Effy, you won't have any issues at all getting to a site..with 30 feet.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
Cape May is absolutely beautiful. We have a place further up the coast, but often take a trip there for the day. If you have children with you, visit the Cape May Zoo. Check, and call, before you show up at the ferry. I just looked at the web site and according to the fare schedule, vehicles are limited to 20' in length.

Lower down on the rate page is a section for larger vehicles. For 25-35' looks like it's $51.00. Says the ferry will take about an hour and a half. Funny, driving up and around doesn't take much longer. Still, the ferry sounds fun. If I decide to go that way it looks like a reservation is a good idea.

Oops! Sorry about that. Yeah, the ferry is kind of fun. When my kids were really small, we would camp at Ocean View, located a little north of Cape May. We would usually take them for a ride on the ferry. They loved it!

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
bullydogs1 wrote:
We've stayed at Seashore and it is not far from the ferry....Big rigs have to stay in the front section but they have several roads to many sites....Decent place and clean and secure.

I'm only 30', does that still limit me?
2013 ACE 29.2

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
The ferry easily takes my 38 plus a SUV ~65'.

If you want to be located in a big rig friendly park,
stay at Cape May Mobile Estates located at RT9 and 109.
They don't allow pets there so it is very quiet.

They have a website.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Cape May is absolutely beautiful. We have a place further up the coast, but often take a trip there for the day. If you have children with you, visit the Cape May Zoo. Check, and call, before you show up at the ferry. I just looked at the web site and according to the fare schedule, vehicles are limited to 20' in length.

Lower down on the rate page is a section for larger vehicles. For 25-35' looks like it's $51.00. Says the ferry will take about an hour and a half. Funny, driving up and around doesn't take much longer. Still, the ferry sounds fun. If I decide to go that way it looks like a reservation is a good idea.
2013 ACE 29.2

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Seashore and it is not far from the ferry....Big rigs have to stay in the front section but they have several roads to many sites....Decent place and clean and secure.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

LGBman05
Explorer
Explorer
I took the Cape May Ferry a few years back in our class A & towing. Can't remember the cost, but I do remember having to turn off propane at the tank until after the crossing. Check the website (http://www.capemaylewesferry.com) for details.

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
Check the ferry's web-site