cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A 330 diesel won't shut off

papasmurf005
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Monaco with 330 Cummins that won't shut off. While the key is off engine runs, turn on lights or cruise engine shuts off. Alternator just replaced. Could this be ground problem or miss wired alternator. Also read about fuel pump solenoid cause problem?
20 REPLIES 20

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new trailer for our MH. Had a Mobile Mechanic in Naples, FL. put in a connector to run it's lights and brakes. Arrived at our first destination and MH wouldn't turn off. tried everything including the mechanics switch in the engine compartment.

Then it occurred to me the only change lately was the trailer. Disconnected the plug and the engine stopped. The Mobile Mechanic had wired it such that the trailer battery for the brakes was driving the electronics in the bus. That cost me over $15K in blown stuff.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

ILVMYGT
Explorer
Explorer
Modern diesel engines are controlled by some type of electronics and do need electricity to run.
2000 Country Coach Magna
CAT 385HP Allison 6sp
1998 Saturn SW2

Skylark
Explorer
Explorer
Check your grounds first. When you turn on the lights, the ground is completed and engine shuts down. Also check ground on fuel shut off solenoid.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
papasmurf005 wrote:
2004 Monaco with 330 Cummins that won't shut off. While the key is off engine runs, turn on lights or cruise engine shuts off. Alternator just replaced. Could this be ground problem or miss wired alternator. Also read about fuel pump solenoid cause problem?

Diesels don't need electricity to run. They won't stop running until the fuel is cut off. Something is keeping the fuel valve / solenoid from closing. As you say. It could be a short, which you really need to find. It could just as easily short the other way, and shut off the engine on the highway.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dennis, welcome and you may be in luck as I just had the same problem with my 04 Dynasty. 330 hp makes it a Diplomat? Are you familiar with the remote start switches in the back run box?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...