cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C - Forest River vs Thor

nick_at_suncity
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to move up to a Class C from a 30ft Trailer.

Any input on Forest River Forester vs Thor Chateau or Four Winds, regarding quality but more importantly workmanship?
9 REPLIES 9

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two used Thor motorhome products. A 2002 Damon Challenger and my current 2011 Four Winds Chateau. Prior to the mentioned units I had an Artic Fox 22H TT. The interior build on all three is very similar. Drawers and cabinets that never open on the road. My current camper has an extremely well thought out plumbing design. All the hot and cold pipes are inside and above the floor. The fresh water tank is under the bed. Unlike the Fox the black & gray tanks, plus the valves, on my Chateau are exposed under the floor. You can heat the tanks but the valves are yours to figure out how to heat.

Every time I called Thor for help. I received excellent help. On my current rig they emailed me the complete plumbing diagrams and the wiring diagram for the battery disconnect switch. On my Damon they directed me to the place I could buy a new water heater control valve.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're buying a used unit, I would more or less ignore the brand (at least between Forest River and Thor) and look at the care bestowed upon the individual unit by the previous owners.

If you're buying brand new, that's of course a different matter altogether, and I can't be much help there. RV manufacturers' quality control in general seems to leave a lot to be desired.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having owned two Forest River products and owning two Thor products in between FWIW, Thor brands had better construction. Support and service sucks with both, with FR taking a slight lead in the sucking at support catefory.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

nick_at_suncity
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat

what have you found about thor that is not good?

I have trailer made by keystone which is a thor company, and i've found it to be well made

nick_at_suncity
Explorer
Explorer
why is thor not good?

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Thor Vegas, I love mine.
Dennis Hoppert

As this is the second thread not related to using the forum software or for testing, you may have missed reading the sticky above "Announcement: READ BEFORE POSTING HERE"?

Please post RV related questions in the correct forum.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard that Gulfstream might start building "C"s again.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I would steer away from Thor - not a good manufacturer. Go Winnebago, Fleetwood.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE