Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class C opinions

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all-

My brother is contemplating the purchase of a 1999 Jayco Designer 3230K 32-foot class C with 67k miles.

I have a large class A, but I seem to remember reading...years ago....that class C's which were too long - like more than 28 feet, as I remember - could be problematic. Because their chassis weren't strong enough to handle all that weight. Or, something like that.

Anyway, I'd like some feedback from those of you with more class C knowledge and experience that I have. What would you think of a coach like this? Would you have concerns about it? Not in terms of how well it's been maintained, but whether it has proven itself to be a less-than-reliable *design*, primarily because of its length. Or any other reason common to Jayco's!

Thanks much!

dave
4 REPLIES 4

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave,

I have read on this forum now and again over the very same concerns you mention. It is common sense to me to avoid such a long rig. If the rear overhand was less, placing more weight forward where it could be better shared with the front axle, then I might feel differnetly, especially if on the later 2008-2014 chassis which have a heavier front axle rating. As others mentioned earlier, the rig would also handle better.

30+ feet and a significant rear overhang on an E450 cut-away chassis is a poor combination in regards to over-loading the rear axle & tires there. Increasing the risk further is that some people purchase those huge rigs to accomodate their family which adds even more weight. Then load up everyone's belongings, food, etc. and you are in danger. It is under those conditions where most rear tire blow-outs occur because even the duel rear tires are over-loaded.

Therefore, I cannot reccomend considering one of those rigs unless you are traveling very light, only two people carrying few things, no fresh or gray or black water, all in combination to keep it light. But to me that defeats the purpose of going "big" in the first place. I would either go with a Super-C or a class-A so that both the chassis and bigger/stronger tires would safely handle the weight.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Beside the ratio of the wheel base to length that pianotuna mentioned the other potential problem with longer class C RV's is a under loaded front axle. If the front axle does not have at least 80% of its rating you will have handling issues. Any weight behind the rear axle takes weight off of the front axle and the farther back the weight is, such as rear storage compartments the more the effect.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The ratio of the wheel base to length is best when it is 55% and up. Handling becomes an issue at below 50%.

Tail swing is a bear to deal with. DAMHIK
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think one issue was if the frames were extended that the rear got weak if towing something?
bumpy