cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coachstep Failure to Retract

midasman
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I spent about three hours at a repair facility and this experience reminded me of the saying, KISS- Keep It Simple, Stupid. And, it's a big advantage if YOU CAN FIX IT YOURSELF...
My steps would not come in and I didn't feel like laying on the ground to try to fix...
After the facility burned out a perfectly good unit I suddenly realized that I had heard the sound of a stalled motor.
What I think was really wrong was that although the steps were well lubed, the hyme joints behind the steps were dry and the step was STUCK! And remember, the steps have NO limit switches that "turn the motor off". It is the stalling of the motor and subsequent increased amp draw or voltage drop that TURNS IT OFF! Boy, I'm sure smart AFTER THE FACT USING MY HINDSIGHT (THINKING THROUGH MY BUTT)...
DUMB ME!
So guys, as you already know, always check SIMPLE FIRST!!!
Midasman
'06Holiday Rambler
Ambassador 40'
ISC 330
1 REPLY 1

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, clean all the joints on the steps with compressed air or whatever it takes to get the dirt out.
Then, lube well. It keeps them working properly.
I have had no problems with the original steps on our 96 Southwind since I started doing that on an annual basis.
A little PM goes a long way.