cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering purchasing a 2012 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
Crazy time to purchase I know. Hoping to get more for mine as well as a decent find.

Any thoughts on the Sightseer 33C with 48,000 miles? Private sale but he is considering a consignment dealer soon so thought I might consider it. Price is lower than what I see posted on various RV
sites.

Looking for a gas unit around 30ft that we can live in for 3-6 months and travel the US. Our third RV over many years. :h

Thanks!
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK
6 REPLIES 6

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I did not mention in my first post is that we cut down the king bed to a queen size. I just cut the wood that holds the mattress to queen size and then we bought a queen mattress. Much easier to get in/out of now. DW then paid for small cabinets on each side of bed in head area.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
For long term travel, and especially if grandchildren are coming, I'd recommend getting a washer/dryer stack. It will take up most of the pantry, but will add a big degree of habitability. Some things I've replaced in three years: video head for bluetooth capability, the bed support frame came apart, the spare bed frame needed new screws to reinforce it, look at the DOT stamp on the tires (ours are coming off this summer), the diamondshield film on the front failed and had to be replaced, we added new cabin lights over the front dash.
All in all, the coach has been mechanically reliable and easy to drive. I'd buy mine again.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly what I'm asking for and you delivered. What experiences anybody has with the the Winni 2012 Sightseer or Itasca 33C model. I will take a more serious look at it this weekend and may PM you.

Thanks!
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
If it has the original Swintek slide mechanism on the large slide I would pass. However, with that many miles I would suspect the slide system has been upgraded. Operate the slides before purchasing listen for loud popping noise. Watch the bottom of the kitchen counter as the slide retracts. If the counter that sticks out (the “L” shaped part) “dips” down a bit just then rises up a bit just before completing the closure process, pass on it or expect a trip to Forest city, Iowa for a factory fix. No dealer can actually fix this problem. Don’t ask me how I know this.

The original Swintek system works fine on the small bedroom slide, just not on the large full wall slide on the drivers side. The Lippert leveling jack system has been annoying as well. Lots of alarms and you will learn how to reset it, not hard, just annoying.

A few suspension upgrades will help drivability, especially a rear trac bar and the cheap handling fix or upgraded sway bars if you prefer. Check the sway bar bushings and brackets. The rear brackets can and do break. These items are a well known problem with any Ford F-53 chassis not just Winnebago RV’s

Check the sliding windows by the driver and passenger. The metal strip on the glass in the middle where the glass panes meet can come loose and curve away from the glass at each end and cause wind noise at high speed.

Ask if the unit has had any windshield leaks and look for evidence. A very common problem with several Winny models. If you experience this there are threads on some forums on fixes.

Other than the usual squeaks and rattles, those are the major issues we have had. A great floor plan and has been a good unit for us for over 30,000 miles.

PM me if you need more details.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
With a good house and chassis inspection by a pro...consider it seriously.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 27' Vista last November with only 26k miles on it,
just got back from a week at the OBX and leaving for Pa in 10-12 days, will be up there for 2 weeks, planning to go for six months come October,,,,,,,
So what's your question?