cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel engine running hot at 58 mph in the mountains

jtaylor0521
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Monaco Cayman 37' with a 300 hp cummings engine. Yesterday was the first time we have encountered mountains. I was running in 5th gear at 58 mph up and down the hills on I40. I noticed it was runing hot, over 200 degrees for awhile the it really started to heat up until the check engine light came on. I stopped and checked everything and it all checked out and the engine cooled down, so we started out again, watching the temp gauge. When it started to heat up again I down shifted to 4th and ran at 53 mph. The engine cooled of to 200 and I had no more temp issues.
My question is: How fast can I run in 4th without causing problems. The RPMs are 2200 at 53 mph in 4th gear.
Is it normal to run hot in the mountains. BTW the outside temp was 85 degrees.
22 REPLIES 22

ghostrider421
Explorer
Explorer
CarlGeo wrote:
a real CUMMINS engine they seldom have over heating problems!

They do if the clutch fan isn't working.
Capt Phillip & Mattie
Guyana - 2013-2019 Dodge 1500, Lance camper - SOLD
Brasil - 2019 > 12m work boat conversion - leased out
Panana - 1976 > 16m Skookum ketch

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
2200 for a C-series is hardly lugging!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

CarlGeo
Explorer
Explorer
Those "CUMMINGS" engines are known to run hot, but if you can get a real CUMMINS engine they seldom have over heating problems!

Good Luck

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
DanTheRVMan wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
The ONLY Simple Green product that can be safely used on aluminum surfaces is "Extreme Simple Green", which is specifically made NOT to cause corrosion on aluminum. I agree that your radiator needs to be cleaned, but use the right product and not something that can etch away at your aluminum fins if not thoroughly rinsed off completely. The standard Simple Green concentrate must not be left on any aluminum surface for more than 10 minutes and if not completely rinsed off, which is difficult to determine with a radiator, can accelerate corrosion.

good comment, but where do you buy it?

The Home Depot by my house sells it so it may be available at other Home Depot stores.

DanTheRVMan
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
The ONLY Simple Green product that can be safely used on aluminum surfaces is "Extreme Simple Green", which is specifically made NOT to cause corrosion on aluminum. I agree that your radiator needs to be cleaned, but use the right product and not something that can etch away at your aluminum fins if not thoroughly rinsed off completely. The standard Simple Green concentrate must not be left on any aluminum surface for more than 10 minutes and if not completely rinsed off, which is difficult to determine with a radiator, can accelerate corrosion.

good comment, but where do you buy it?
Dan
Tiffin Phaeton
Allegro Red 36ft Sold

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
hershey wrote:
If its a rear radiator Golden HVAC is on the right track. Cummin's has a slobber tube at the top of the engine. It will let a mist of oil, over time, blow directly into the radiator. That with dust and road grime will slowly plug the radiator to the point your at right now.
Find a large do-it-yourself car wash and back up to the bay if you won't fit and spray liberally with a strong solution of Dawn and/or Simple Green or Awsome. Let it sit and spray it squarely with just plane water from the rear. That will flush the bad stuff back to where it came from. Thats the on the road solution to your problem.
Once your home, continue to saturate with de-greaser and wash from the rear and also from the front. There is a turbo aftercooler there too and unfortunately a lot of the bad stuff will stay caught between the radiator and the aftercooler. Just perseverance can get much more of the radiator clean.
Once you feel good about it, connect a rubber hose to the slobber tube and route that mist down and below the radiator so you don't have the problem again.
My MH was so bad I had to have the radiator pulled and washed and the aftercooler also and replaced.

DON'T use a carwash wand on the radiator unless it had a LOW PRESSURE setting. Full power from a pressure wand can damage the radiator fins!

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
I concur with the cleaning of the radiator. But you may also be too aggressive int he summer heat climbing the hills. Even with a clean system (I can see a flashlight through all the way through the two sets of fins.) Summer time climbing grades I need to keep an eye on RPM, boost pressure and water temp. I can usually keep the temps around 200 give or take but sometimes I have to run at a slower climb then I thought I would.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

jtaylor0521
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your great advise. I learned alot and will clean my radiator.
Jeff

JackMS
Explorer
Explorer
All advice above is great. I will just add that the engines ECU will not let you over rev the engine, except maybe going down a hill.
2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune 34pdd, Cummins ISB 300, Allison 2500MH, Onan 8.0QD
Prior Toad-2001 Chevy 2500 CC 4WD
Toad-2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Aventa II

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummings is a city in Georgia!!..:B:B....just sayin....Dennis

BTW..Maintaining correct RPM is much more important when climbing hills than MPH...find your engine's sweet spot and maintain that RPM and forget about the MPH....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't the transmission downshift on its own when under a load like this?

MrWizard
clean the radiator
climb those hills in 4th gear at 53mph 2200 rpm is a good spot, don't lug and don't run max out, try 50mph whats the rush
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Clean the rear radiator downshift and Run at 2-300 rpm above peak torque rpm
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567