cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dipping my toe in the Class C waters, Which one

Quint_Da_Man
Explorer
Explorer
As my wife and I gently glide into retirement years (3 yrs away)we are contemplating getting a Class C rig and trading in or selling the 5th wheel. For the next 3 years it will be weekend trips and vacations and when retired we will be heading out for 3 months or so at a time. Our thinking is something in the 32-36' range, probably buy used, no older then 4 years old, have a budget of about 100k plus or minus. But I know little about what are good rigs, rigs to stay away from etc. one model we are interested in is the Isata 5 36ds but our search is just beginning.

What are your opinions and insights on manufacturers and models we should consider or stay away from.

Thanks in advance
2020 Thor Quantum WS31
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk
Blue Ox Ascent Tow Bar BX4370
Blue Ox Patriot II Brake BRK2016
18 REPLIES 18

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
When reviewing the longer "C's" watch the wheelbases. Some have longer wheelbases with shorter rear overhangs.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
MDKMDK wrote:
Quint Da Man wrote:
As my wife and I gently glide into retirement years (3 yrs away)we are contemplating getting a Class C rig and trading in or selling the 5th wheel. For the next 3 years it will be weekend trips and vacations and when retired we will be heading out for 3 months or so at a time. Our thinking is something in the 32-36' range, probably buy used, no older then 4 years old, have a budget of about 100k plus or minus. But I know little about what are good rigs, rigs to stay away from etc. one model we are interested in is the Isata 5 36ds but our search is just beginning.

What are your opinions and insights on manufacturers and models we should consider or stay away from.

Thanks in advance

The Iasata 5 36DS is a Super C, aka a larger class C on a diesel truck chassis. They're interesting, and expensive. Not sure whether your budget can include even a 4 year old unit, but others will certainly chime in on that. They're like a diesel puller with a cab over bunk.

I may be arguing semantics but I wouldn’t call an Isata 5 on a pick up chassis a Super C. No air suspension, no air brakes and not nearly as expensive as a Frightliner based unit. They are more expensive but not by much.

And yes I know some dealers call them Super Cs but they ain’t.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Quint Da Man wrote:

Thanks in advance

The Iasata 5 36DS is a Super C, aka a larger class C on a diesel truck chassis. They're interesting, and expensive. Not sure whether your budget can include even a 4 year old unit, but others will certainly chime in on that. They're like a diesel puller with a cab over bunk.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are looking at Cs. We half time in a 2005 38 DP three slide we bought new. We had two gas As before that.

I want to change so we can go from 12’ high 30,000 pounds five steps in to 14000 pounds, 10’ tall and three steps in. I’m also over diesels and their complications.

Our must-haves are theater seating across from an electric fireplace with a big tv directly across from it. A washer dryer. An 80” bed. Full body paint. 2016 or newer when the six speed was introduced (Ford V10). I’d like the overhead to not be a bed but all storage. We also want a 22” buffet with a counter top with a swing up table and two chairs. The counter top lets you set a printer, electric coffee pot, etc.
Resin fridge and no oven.

Nobody makes this. The closest is a Coachman Leprecaun 311 FS.

Im resigned to a 16 or 17 with FBP. I’ll take it to a RV interior place and have the evil dinette converted to the fireplace tv buffet and close the overhead into storage.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.