cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Downshifting fix for hills

kingsransom
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 35 foot gas Fleetwood Bounder with a V10 Ford engine. While in cruise control, even a small hill or overpass will cause the trany to downshift to a lower gear, causing the engine to rev high. Any ideas to help fix this? Thanks!!!
Bill & Debbie
Fleetwood Bounder 35ft gas V10
Honda CRV
39 REPLIES 39

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
kingsransom wrote:
Have not tried Tow Haul except when going downhill. We are pulling a Honda CRV.

Pulling a car you'll never be able to rely on cruise on a hill. Most cars don't even do well on cruise on hills let alone an RV pulling a car. Pretty much for more flat open driving.
2013 ACE 29.2

kingsransom
Explorer
Explorer
Have not tried Tow Haul except when going downhill. We are pulling a Honda CRV.
Bill & Debbie
Honda CRV

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't have to be fixed becaus it's not broken.

The section of the computer that controls the shifting of the transmission, knows what it's doing.

Break out your Ford owners manual and read up on how your transmission works.
These engines are just fine with high rpm's. They are designed that way.

If your speed drops below, as I recall, 45mpg, the cruise control will automatically disconnect itself.

Read up on how to downshift if going downhill. You just tap your brake peddle and the tranny will downshift as soon as it's safe to do so.

Enjoy your travels.
๐Ÿ™‚

kingsransom
Explorer
Explorer
I understand I can take it off cruise control, which can be way too often....but, I heard there is a "chip" you can change/install to lessen the downshifting. Any one heard of this? Thanks
Bill & Debbie
Honda CRV

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can't really fix it other than going slower in anticipation of the hill.

You can either slow down your cruise speed, or take it out of cruise before the hill, and downshift yourself before your tranny does. It's really not very good, long-term, for a tranny to be 'hard shifting' down when it's ON the grade. Sorta like trying to downshift a bicycle on a grade. Ain't easy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
This has been covered many times. Fords cruise control is very lazy at trying to maintain a set speed. My 02 X is the same way. I have to watch ahead for any type of incline in the road and help the cruise along when at the base of the hill. the set speed will drop sometimes several mph before the cruise tries to increase speed, by then it`s too late and the engine needs to downshift to regain that speed. it is frustrating, staying on top of it in hilly areas is the only way to go. a pain because you have to do what the cruise should be programmed to do.

BTW, are you running with the Tow Haul engaged?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the cruise control on and take it out of overdrive when running through hills that cause it to search for gears.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may be able to start accelerating before a small hill with the cruise on. This may get you over it without the cruise making it down shift when you get back to the set speed. You will learn how hard you can push on the gas pedal before it makes it downshift. On a long hill even with the cruise off it probably will downshift if you try and maintain the set speed.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
JackInAZ wrote:
On hilly terrain, take it out of cruise control.

X2 - it will try and keep the same speed and it really can't up a hill. take it out of cruise before starting up.
2013 ACE 29.2

JackInAZ
Explorer
Explorer
On hilly terrain, take it out of cruise control.