cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driver Seat Belt Problem

becker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Monaco Dynasty. The driver's swivel seatbelt pulls down from left to right. The problem is that on occasion it will not re-track and just hangs loose. When I get under the seat, I find where the belt rolls up on some sort of roller, I can start the roller with my fingers and it starts to work very slowly. It feels like there is some sort of spring involved. Also there is a what looks like a black plastic cover that is loose around the roller that I cannot fasten back to where I think it belongs.
My question is does anyone have any experience with their seatbelt mechanism? Can it be repaired and/or replaced and how? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System
3 REPLIES 3

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a similar problem with our Chevy Conversion Van, where the retractor broke and therefore the seatbelt would not pull tight when buckled and was essentially useless as a safety device.

We went to the local Chevy dealer who told us that since the van was more than 10 years old, Chevy no longer supplied parts and it couldn't be fixed. He was certainly not a lot of help.

We found a replacement belt online from JC Whitney or some other company and ordered it. We took it to several local shops and nobody would install it, as they said their insurance companies would not allow them to install these belts or they might be liable if an accident was to occur.

We finally found a local guy who did the install with one caveat: He would not install the very top bolt that went above the driver's left shoulder and held the shoulder strap. He showed us what to do and said that if we put that bolt in and tightened it, then we installed it and could not hold him liable. That worked fine for us so we did it.

Moral of the story: It ain't as easy as it may seem.
You are illegal if you drive without a seat belt, but Chevy won't supply one over 10 years old, and shops won't install one even if you manage to find one.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
They can be replace and repaired. Might just need cleaning. Most come apart for repair/adjustment.

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Yes mine does that. Ever since I've owned it.
I just reach back and pull it tight.
Just a habit now. Of all the things that bug me
that one is the smallest.