cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric steps continually trying to retract

firedog
Explorer
Explorer
When we open the door, I turn off steps, close door great. When I turn steps on, open and shut door the steps retract and keep trying to retract, after a couple of seconds they finally stop in place where they are supposed to be. This is Firedog's better half, I hope I explained it well enough for you to understand the issue. We have a 2010 Monticeto by Thor. Thank you, Ann
5 REPLIES 5

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently experiencing what I think may or may not be a similar problem.

Mine started acting up just a week before I put the rig away for the winter back in November, so I didn't have much time to investigate. However, from what I could tell with mine, it seems that the gear box was slipping - as if a tooth may have broken on a gear inside. When my steps either retract or extend, they get to a certain point then start to "skip" (for lack of a better term). I then have to help them either all the way in or out until the unit shuts off. But, even then the steps are not "locked" in place, either fully extended or retracted. It seems that I'm going to have to replace the gear unit, as the motor works fine and seemingly the limit switches are working fine.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
First I'd find the door switch. Remove it, check the connections. If they are dirty clean them. You can also take apart the switch itself to see if there is any "junk" in there.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
firedog wrote:
When we open the door, I turn off steps, close door great. When I turn steps on, open and shut door the steps retract and keep trying to retract, after a couple of seconds they finally stop in place where they are supposed to be. This is Firedog's better half, I hope I explained it well enough for you to understand the issue. We have a 2010 Monticeto by Thor. Thank you, Ann

Could be as simple as the door sw. and many times the door is just out of kilter a bit.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Moved from Forum Technical Support

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I had an issue similar on our Coach. I took the motor off and matched it up on Amazon.com and ordered a new motor assembly. I read where the hard plastic bushings inside the motor break down and grind up. I was curious and opened the old motor up and one of the plastic bushings was fine pieces of plastic, the other two were like new.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992