cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric steps just stopped working. ?????

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
So, I have a 2009 Navion.

I have those electric Kwik Kee steps, not sure of spelling of name. Last year, around August 2014, I replaced the motor and control unit with a new set because they stopped worked and were stuck in the closed position. They were working just fine, then all of a sudden they stopped.

They are now kind of just hanging there, sticking out a few inches and loosely just swinging back and forth with a little applied pressure. No yellow light comes on and they won't retract or open with the door. I checked the circuit breakers and they are fine. There are no in-line fuse and all the connections appear fine.

Anybody... I'm a DAV with a service dog and we're having a hard time climbing in and out. Need to remedy fast. HELP!
[img/Users/Frank/Pictures/iPhoto Library_2/Originals/2014/Apr 2, 2014/2009_1306_Nav_BlueMoon.jpg[img]
8 REPLIES 8

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
mabynack wrote:
The first thing I would check would be to see if you're getting current flow to the steps. I would use a test light and check that. If not, work your way back through the circuit - check for power at the switch.

This would allow you to isolate the problem.

synergy_58 wrote:
Now it seems like there's no power, but I've checked everything I can think of.

Your response here makes me think you have not actually checked for power at the steps as mabynack suggested. Please do so and report back. Saying something "seems" is not helpful in diagnosing a problem.
kregli wrote:
As I recall there is a plastic/nylon gear that transfers the energy from the motor to the step mechanism and the motor is strong enough to strip that gear. That would be consistent with your description. I think it is a fairly easy fix if someone has the parts.

This actually is the most likely scenario from your description of the steps swinging back and forth.

synergy_58 wrote:
They are now kind of just hanging there, sticking out a few inches and loosely just swinging back and forth with a little applied pressure.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
is there a magnet type switch in the door?

Yes there is. I checked it and it appears to be okay.
[img/Users/Frank/Pictures/iPhoto Library_2/Originals/2014/Apr 2, 2014/2009_1306_Nav_BlueMoon.jpg[img]

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
is there a magnet type switch in the door?

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
I did replace the motor and control unit just 10,000 miles/ 8 months ago. Yes, it was pretty easy to do. Now it seems like there's no power, but I've checked everything I can think of.

kregli
Explorer
Explorer
As I recall there is a plastic/nylon gear that transfers the energy from the motor to the step mechanism and the motor is strong enough to strip that gear. That would be consistent with your description. I think it is a fairly easy fix if someone has the parts.
Keith
2015 Grand Design Momentum 388m
2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
crawl under there and look at the limet switchs . take the arm off push out by hand ,

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
check to see if the motor is burned out

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first thing I would check would be to see if you're getting current flow to the steps. I would use a test light and check that. If not, work your way back through the circuit - check for power at the switch.

This would allow you to isolate the problem.