cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Fire - Insurance Claim

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
Recently the electric motor and wires that power the hydraulics for the LCI Levelers and Slide on our Coach caught fire, melted wires and burned up motor.

I was all worked up about the expense this was going to be and a couple of my other RV buddies said "you had a fire, turn it in to your insurance". I had not thought of that option, because I was thinking more of a system failure.

Any way, I called my agent to find out first if I had coverage and if I should turn it in as I did not want to jeopardize my auto and homeowners coverage.

She said that it was covered for fire just like if you car caught fire and fell under our comprehensive coverage. She did not see any reason not to turn it in and told me I had 6 months to file a claim, since she had made notations in my file.

She went on to tell me to take it to RV repair shop and get a quote and I could decide then, no adjuster needed.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and filed an insurance claim?
Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia
15 REPLIES 15

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
not a fire but we did have some exterior damage caused by a hit and run driver in a parking lot 10 or 12 years ago. reported the damage to the local PD, notified insurance, filed a claim, had the work done and paid my deductible. no sweat. that's what insurance is for...to mitigate risk the individual doesn't want to otherwise cover themselves.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle