cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Engine Batteries!

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace the Exide 31 batteries in my Cat powered Diesel Pusher. The Exide had 925 CCA and died one month beyond the end of the warranty. After looking at local suppliers, Costco, Sam's Club and online I settled on purchasing CAT batteries at the local CAT Dealer/Rental Yard. The CAT battery I purchased was the , https://commerce.cat.com/en/catcorp/batteries/premium-high-output/175-4390 which has 1000 CCA and screw caps allowing easier checking of the water. Cost was $136 plus tax per battery. The Sam's Club group 31 was $112, Tractor Supply (same Exide being replaced) was $99 and Interstate group 31 was aprox $150 but all had less CCA. IMHO, the CAT battery is built better as they are built to take the construction environment. Warranty is 12 month free replacement and 36 month pro-rated. A bonus is the Core Charge at CAT is $5 where as everyone else was $25-$35. I exchanged and paid no core charge as my batteries were shot. After charging twice and going dead in a couple below freezing nights they were not worth keeping around. New batteries installed and started in a flash. Watch your batteries in this cold weather, easier to change at your choice than broke down in a park.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA
6 REPLIES 6

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also be sure to look at desulphation for a nice long battery life.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at Northern tool. They are a lot higher than Costco. $319 for a 225 CCA battery?

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the boost switch . . . My 12 yo original gas engined battery is ok for maybe a week or two using the disconnect switch. There's about a 40ma constant drain from the coach systems monitor (water,LP,grey,black), Scan Gauge and something else. It works perfectly for a weekend once it's charged.

Sadly, I'm in denial . . . . .

So far Northern Tool has the best price for a decent battery.

Best,
- bob

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'll probably go back with Interstates as I'm still on the original engine batteries. Yes, they are 10+ years old and all I've done is add a little water every couple of years after finding the caps under the hard plastic top. When I have to use the boost switch to start the engine I'll replace them but until then I'm curious as to how long they will last.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Why is the battery in my DP an 8D size at 1140 CCA..?????
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape