cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever Replace a Toilet in an RV

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I just had the privilege of replacing the 14 year old toilet in our Class A. The valve would stick and continue to fill the bowl, resulting in water on the floor!

It must be easy to install those when being built.

The water connection was on the opposite side of the new Dometic 310 toilet I installed. The manufacturer used a very hard PEX connection directly to the back of the old toilet.

Thank goodness for the PEX type connectors that are available at the big box hardware stores. I connected the toilet with a braided SS flexible hose too, like you would use in your house.

The space where the supply line runs is also the space for a heater vent hose, copper lines, PEX lines for the shower, and 5 Romex electrical wires. Careful cutting the toilet supply line!

Still need to finish the panel that covers all the space, but I will get that done this afternoon.

14 REPLIES 14

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced the toilet that came in my MH with the 310 last month.
Splurged and bought the household style wooden seat to go with it. Well worth the money and DW is much happier than with the old plastic style
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my 30-year-old terlet with that Dometic 310. Huuuuge improvement. Water line was in the right place, but the mount wasn't. Needed to get Dometic's riser kit that attaches to the existing flange and puts the mounting bolts in the right place. Puts it up another 1/4".

The stuff I found under and in the crevices of the old terlet was pretty nasty (in 1984 they put the toilets over the carpet, and there are lots of places under/in the old terlet for things to get "lost" - feminine hygiene products in particular). You're welcome.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
edm3rd wrote:
Kinda surprised no one mentioned dumping black tank before installation.

Wouldn't that depend on the circumstances at the installation site? Sure it's nice to have an empty tank down the hole, but it's not really necessary, especially if you have everything staged ahead of time for a quick swap. Even if that's not possible, a rag wadded up over the hole works well while other prep work is done. Been there, done that, both ways...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
edm3rd wrote:

Everybody probably thought that would be a logical absolutely first step in this process!

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer

CWDoc115
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced mine with an ADA approved model to help with our decreasing mobility. Had the dealer I bought the coach from do the switch. Best $$ I ever spent! :B

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the job was easy especially with an exact replacement. May be easier than a home toilet.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
Yankee Clipper wrote:
Yes, I replaced our original 13" high plastic commode with a 17" high ceramic bowl commode from CW two years ago. No issues for me, just two nuts and the water line. Everything lined up...I must have been living la vita loca that day.

I have to do the same. Just ordered a new stool because I was sick and tired hitting my knees to my chin all the tie I had to use the little plastic thingy.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimers wrote:
I replaced mine with an exact replacement. Piece of Cake.

That would have been the best way to go or if I could have found the replacement valve. I am hoping I have achieved a quality upgrade.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine with an exact replacement. Piece of Cake.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the same porcelain toilet in two different RV's. Both required extending the water line to reach the new valve location, but since I always add an inline shut-off valve anyway, that was an easy process. In the first RV, the hardest part was removing the screws holding the flange to the floor and rotating it so the hold down bolts would line up properly with the new toilet. The second RV already had the flange properly positioned, making the whole job take only about an hour.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my new toilet a year ago they asked me which side of the toilet I wanted the water line connection on. I too used a braided SS flexible hose with a shut off valve. Easy install for me.
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I replaced our original 13" high plastic commode with a 17" high ceramic bowl commode from CW two years ago. No issues for me, just two nuts and the water line. Everything lined up...I must have been living la vita loca that day.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced ours last year. All the water holes around the top ring were clogged with mineral deposits. Same issues you faced. Original PEX water line was on opposite side of toilet. I used a SharkBite fitting to connect the PEX tubing I had to cut.