cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F53 Shock Suggestions

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Bounder 34b and have upgraded various chassis items like steering stabilizer and rear trac bar. Its time to replace the stock shocks. On certain roads the frontend bounces all around. What do you suggest and is it a do it yourself job? Seems there is access to shocks and bolts.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b
9 REPLIES 9

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
PCronin68 wrote:
Thanks...do it yourself project?

Yes if you are physically able and have the tools. 3/4" drive sockets, breaker bar and combo wrench will work best but you can get by with 1/2" tools. Also someway to lift and safely hold the coach up (such as jack stands) if you need the room. Torque requirements are 220--300 foot pounds, I think so verify before you start.

BTW I have Koni shocks which replaced the gas charged Bilsteins. The softer ride was noticeable. One of the better "bank for the buck" improvements.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I had an F53 based MH, I swapped out the original shocks for Monroe's .... made a world of difference.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, they are a DIY project if you have the tools and a way to elevate the coach. The Bilsteins, being gas charged, are a little tougher because you are fighting the gas resistance to get them aligned top and bottom on the mounts. The Koni shocks can be compressed easily to align perfectly with the mounts and they will stay in that position while you install them.

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks...do it yourself project?
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to add that I replaced only the front shocks with the Konis. The rears are still the Bilsteins, and now, when we say, go over an expansion joint it's bam....bam. A rather large difference. I'll change the rears sometime this spring.

Al

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine has the Koni FSD and coupled with Sumos front and rear the ride is up there with a DP. it floats down the road and all but the worst roads are transferred into the chassis. comparing to my buddy`s 2017 his rides like a brick and you feel every pebble in the road. We put Sumos on the front of his and it smoothed it out some, but it still rides hard even with 90 psi in the tires.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Shocks are always a personal choice. The Bilsteins are gas charged which means there is always a certain amount of resistance to even the smallest bump or road joint. I took off my Bilsteins and replaced them with Koni FSD shocks which are NOT gas charged. They do a much better job with the small bumps and road joints and do not transmit that jolt back through the steering wheel. Both the Bilsteins and the Koni shocks did just as well on the large bumps and potholes.

I did the same and like the Koni over the Bilsteins. I replaced 4 year old Bilsteins. The Koni's do indeed ride smoother.

Al

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shocks are always a personal choice. The Bilsteins are gas charged which means there is always a certain amount of resistance to even the smallest bump or road joint. I took off my Bilsteins and replaced them with Koni FSD shocks which are NOT gas charged. They do a much better job with the small bumps and road joints and do not transmit that jolt back through the steering wheel. Both the Bilsteins and the Koni shocks did just as well on the large bumps and potholes.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suspect your factory shocks are Bilsteins. When I looked into swapping mine on my 2016 I emailed Bilstein and they told me the stock shocks were made to Ford specs, where their replacements were not and should provide a better ride. I had them installed and do believe they are better, by how much? ?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT