cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Extended Trip

smeador
Explorer
Explorer
My lady and I took our "new" 1990 Tioga down to the Outer Banks, NC for our first trip more than a single night. We headed to Ocean Waves Campground in Waves. Nice campground with easy access sites and right along the beach. Went down for the first week of June.

Well, it was definitely much better than camping in a tent!!! Cold AC, hot running water, flush toilet, satellite radio... We had a blast! Took me a little to get the hot water heater (gas) running, but it definitely produced hot water. We had a series of pretty nasty thunderstorms that made me VERY happy to be in the Tioga. didn't have to worry about the wind or leaky tent walls!

We averaged 8.33 MPG on the entire trip - 500 miles round trip. Learned that without another vehicle, you are pretty much stuck where you set up. But it was wonderful - no more tents for beach trips and music festivals!!!!
7 REPLIES 7

smeador
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! We had a blast and we see many more trips in the future!

5Mainecampers
Explorer
Explorer
We upgraded to Class C four years ago from a Hybrid TT; our primary concern at the time was not having a vehicle---- we were going to buy a tow dolly, but have found many campgrounds in tourist areas have shuttles---- later this month we are going to Gettesburg PA and renting a car for $20/ day... Little more planning is required but we have quickly adapted to the vehicle situation. Glad first trip was a success-- here's to many more!!

rdrv831
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of towing a car we look for RV sites that have shuttle services to places we want to see. Example Yosemite.

Our next trip will be 8,000 miles to the east coast and back. We will be seeing Washington DC, Hershey Park, Niagara Falls, and the Grand Canyon. Each park has either a shuttle, train or tour service we can utilize.

We did go to the Redwood for Memorial day and just enjoyed the scenery.
Ray and Maria
Lincoln CA
Family Photo's link

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you had a great intro to RVing.

Depending on your RVing style, you might want to consider towing a car.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your maiden voyage! :C

Nothing beats a MH. Pull in, put it in park, and have a cold one!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
We did our first boondockin' Saturday night. Campground was just shy of 10,000' up. Seeing snow at the pass should have been our first clue.

Weather was high 60's when we got there but hit 29* that night for a low. It was sooooooooooooooooooooo nice to just lift a hand up and kick the thermostat up a few more degrees.

Hot showers to get the campfire smoke off before hitting the sack.

Yep.
Going to be hard to go back to tent camping. 🙂

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you had a smooth start.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis