cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FIRST TIME RV-ER QUESTIONS

mpac165
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Thanks for Reading; I am a wannabe full-time RV'er, and, I have some questions...Here goes!

Okay, so, I am a low income adult with disabilities, living on social security. My apartment is becoming a bit too expensive, and, I'd like to travel, and end up on the west coast.

SO, I've decided to buy a (used, older) motorhome (on payments, hopefully, of no more than $300/mo/40mos).

My plan, is to Live IN the motorhome, parked locally, for at least several months, perhaps up to a year. A friend of a friend has a warehouse and would let me park my motorhome there, and get (virtually free) electricity and water for the duration.

Now, I need to learn a lot about rv-ing. Such as, I assume that if the vehicle engine isn't running, than I have to run the house off of the batteries, of the generator, or plug into an electrical outlet.

1)...How much will propane cost?
1b)...How long will it last/hours?

2)...On the road, how much does it cost to dump the waste tank?
2b)...and, how much to fill up fresh water tank?

3)...How about tolls? Is there a way to find out how much my tolls will cost before I embark on my journey?

4)...What is 'good sams'? Is it worth it?

5)...RV insurance for full-timers/cost?

No matter what, I will not jump on the road until the motorhome in in tiptop shape and A-One Condition Mechanically, Electrically, and other 'ally's...That is another reason I want to live in the RV for at least a few months--so I can afford any necessary repairs and preventive maintenance, as well as anything that pops up along the way. Speaking of which;

6)...what are the most common 'on the road' repairs for motorhomes? Tires? brakes? belts? overheating/radiator? starter?

Am I missing anything?
Horsepower for going uphill?
Slideouts--good? or bad? (I heard some leak)

RV-Motorhome inspection: can I get a motorhome inspected by the state, or does it have to be a 'licensed professional'/I heard they can charge several hundred, upto a thousand dollars per inspection?

What are the Necessities/Must Haves for On The Road, and RV Parks?

Are (older) Motorhome bathrooms as bad as they say?
Bad toilets?
Showers that run out of hot water?

Options for TV and Internet?
I have to assume that the motorhome that I get will not have a kingdome satellite dish/receiver, so, I Do know that my laptop can use my smartphones cell connection--and at that--I can surf the internet, and watch my favorite shows either on my laptop, or the RV televisions (I know that I can hookup a wire to most televisions from a laptop). Once I am parked out west in an RV Park--I've researched that many include cable tv/elec/water/internet. I've also heard that most internet from rv parks, is lousy--and, at that--I could get a usb wifi card for my laptop--and solve those issues.

STILL, I'd love to have a dish, or other reliable tv and internet services, on the road, and in the rv parks. Any suggestions, tips?

Is there a AAA/Triple A--for Motorhomes? Towing is expensive for cars--it must be sky high for RV's. How much does on-site maintenance and repair cost? Are there insurance plans for that? Costs?

While I am on the road, I (hopefully) only plan to stop for fuel, and to take out the trash--I have a cat that is my traveling companion---litter stinks...trash will be emptied as often as possible.

In the months to a year that I will live in whatever motorhome I get, I will get to know as much as I can about my RV, about Driving and Parking an RV, and about Living in an RV...and its' costs...

My dream is to try to get a motorhome WITH Slide-outs--hopefully, there will be no leaks, and I can have more square footage living area.

Thank you for your help!

Mark
33 REPLIES 33

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
You have a lot of good questions.
I would also suggest you go to some RV parks and talk with those folks. I learned a lot before I bought mine. Also read everything you can on this forum.
I look at all of the most recent posts.

Yes, you need to keep it plugged in for elec and for keeping the batteries charged.
You may need to budget for new tires and all new batteries.

Slides are nice but can also be trouble.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to rain on Your parade,but I urge You to consider another alternative.

Owning and operating an RV is not inexpensive and can be heartbreaking if the wrong unit is purchased.

There are so many systems and mechanical components that can and ultimately will fail . none are completely bullet proof!

I wish You only the best in Your quest for Happiness and fulfillment but please please don't take this step as an escape from paying Rent at whatever level.

Recreation Vehicles are just that for Recreation nothing more!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

mpac165
Explorer
Explorer
I've priced a few with slides for under 10K.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
It's understandable that you have a lot of questions. Try breaking them up into different posts for each subject area once you have done some more research. I can tell you that if you have difficulty affording your apartment it will be very difficult for you to afford a motorhome. My HR was in great condition when I bought it but I have already had to put as much into it as I paid for it after only 5 years. You are probably going to pay at least 15K for a (newer) older unit with a slide. Is that in your price range?

I do wish you good luck on your new endeavor.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO