cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford 460 Engine vibration in overdrive

Captainbobby
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1998 Holiday Rambler with the F53 Chassis and 460 Ford Engine with 57k miles. For the past 2 years I have been trying to solve a vibration issue that shows up between 45 mph and 65 MPH when the transmission shifts to overdrive. You can take your foot off the gas and it quits when the torque converter disconnects and returns as soon as it locks back in. This is a typical torque converter shutter symptom but I have changed both the transmission and torque converter and it made no difference. I have also had the drive shaft balanced and all U joints replaced with no better results. The engine has been tuned with new plugs, heat resistant wires and is serviced every 5k miles with Mobil 1 synthetic. If you have enough road to get to 68 or 70 mph it goes away. Anybody out there had a similar problem? I bought the coach new in 1998 and my first trip was to Daytona Speedway when Earnhardt won the 500. It has been a great coach but this vibration issue has me very frustrated and I cannot find anyone willing to take the time to solve this issue.
11 REPLIES 11

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same vibration in my 95 F53. Some of the ring gear bearing shims had fell out and the ring gear and carrier assemble was moving around, causing a vibration. Luckily I found it before the ring and pinion gears failed. I'm still scratching my head as to why the vibration only occurred when the torque converter clutch locked up. Go figure?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or in the seats?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bent wheel on one of the corners or the need for a 4 wheel alignment so that the rear end is pointed in the same way as the front end. Not too many places can do a thrust angle alignment but that may be your issue.

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Captainbobby wrote:
I still think it is related to the torque converter. It's like whatever is supposed to tell the torque converter to lock up is not sending a constant signal making it shutter. The new torque converter is doing the exact same thing that the old one did. I guess it could be a sensor. The entire drive shaft was balanced and all joints replaced. The pinion angle was checked at re-installation.

I had a similar issue with a 1984 S10 Blazer, we unplugged the converter lock and the problem went away. Back then there was only 12 month, 12000 miles of warranty and GM would not make it good. We drove it like that for about a year and traded it in on a new car, this was the first year of the S10 Blazer, it appeared to be built well with good fit and finish, but between the vibration issue and the multitude of rattles around the tailgate and rear window that also could not be corrected we elected to get rid of it.

I would try to disconnect the lock circuit for the converter and see if that is the issue.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Very frustrating!

Cheap experiment to try for fine tuning the driveshaft balance. Place a couple hose clamps on the drive shaft next to the weights for balancing.
Placing the screw clamp on the same side of the weights will slightly increase the balance weight. Placing the screw clamp on the opposite side of the weights will slightly decrease the weight.

Good luck.

Captainbobby
Explorer
Explorer
I still think it is related to the torque converter. It's like whatever is supposed to tell the torque converter to lock up is not sending a constant signal making it shutter. The new torque converter is doing the exact same thing that the old one did. I guess it could be a sensor. The entire drive shaft was balanced and all joints replaced. The pinion angle was checked at re-installation.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your drive shaft has a slip joint, check that also. If too full of grease it cause issue like you are having. release the pressure on the grease zerk till no grease comes out. Slip joints do wear out. Did you do the u-joints or have them done. Have you check to ensure they are not binding. I know you stated you had new ones installed.

Also as Lou state the pinion angle. A off angle will kill u-joints.

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked the pinion angle? It's a relatively easy thing to check and doesn't require expensive equipment.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Bruce_Brown
Carrier bearing?
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Check engine light on? Fuel milage down? Could be a bad map or O2 sensor or ?
2010 Suncruiser

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ujoint? Engine mounts?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow