cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FORD EBRAKE TRANSMISSION FAILURE

MELPOSSUM
Explorer
Explorer
I WOULD LIKE TO INFORM RVR'S THAT THE EBRAKE TRANSMISSION MY CLASS A COACHMEN MOTORHOME WITH A FORD CHASSIS HAS FAILED AND HAD TO BE REPAIRED AT A COST OF $4000.
I AM INTERESTED IN HEARING HOW MANY OWNERS HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.
THE MOTORHOME ONLY HAD 32,000 MILES BUT IS ONE YEAR OUT OF WARRANTY.
42 REPLIES 42

dsbsi
Explorer
Explorer
Another good reference for F53 PARKING BRAKE DIY OVERHAUL

F53 Parking Brake
Fbauer
02/22/05
Dwight
1995 Ford F53 Bounder 35U
Cold Spring Minnesota

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
OhhWell wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
jolooote wrote:
Hi tropical36. This thing is the 'E'mergency brake. It is actuated when you push down the Emergency/Parking brake. It simply clamps an old fashioned drum brake in place. That name is misleading because the brake assembly won't do much if applied in an emergency braking situation. It is actually a Parking Brake designed to keep a parked rig from moving.

So, the same as a chevy chassis without auto park and most all have the brake ass'y on the drive shaft, regardless. My confusion was with these fluid leaks and how this fluid might be related to the actual workings of the brake itself. I mean yes, there can be tranny seal leaks in any of them that will find it's way into a drum brake system, but what does this have to do with the operation of it all? Also was confused with the E designation and no, there probably aren't many, real emergency brakes, disguised as a parking brake in the whole world and for any vehicle, unless one is moving pretty slow on the flats and geared down some.

The front end of the assembly has bearings. The ATF is there to lubricate and dissipate heat.

Alright then and just something a little extra that a Chevy/WH chassis doesn't have and even with the non-auto manual versions. Now this brake, surely isn't designed to be set while the rig is in motion, is it, cuz I don't really see a need for all this?

No, its just a parking brake. I guess they figured it was better to immobilize the drive shaft than to run a line to both rear calipers like on a passenger vehicle.

Driving off while forgetting that it is engaged results in a rebuild usually.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
OhhWell wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
jolooote wrote:
Hi tropical36. This thing is the 'E'mergency brake. It is actuated when you push down the Emergency/Parking brake. It simply clamps an old fashioned drum brake in place. That name is misleading because the brake assembly won't do much if applied in an emergency braking situation. It is actually a Parking Brake designed to keep a parked rig from moving.

So, the same as a chevy chassis without auto park and most all have the brake ass'y on the drive shaft, regardless. My confusion was with these fluid leaks and how this fluid might be related to the actual workings of the brake itself. I mean yes, there can be tranny seal leaks in any of them that will find it's way into a drum brake system, but what does this have to do with the operation of it all? Also was confused with the E designation and no, there probably aren't many, real emergency brakes, disguised as a parking brake in the whole world and for any vehicle, unless one is moving pretty slow on the flats and geared down some.

The front end of the assembly has bearings. The ATF is there to lubricate and dissipate heat.

Alright then and just something a little extra that a Chevy/WH chassis doesn't have and even with the non-auto manual versions. Now this brake, surely isn't designed to be set while the rig is in motion, is it, cuz I don't really see a need for all this?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
jolooote wrote:

1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
As others have posted, I still don't know what this ebrake thingy actually does, unless I missed it somewhere. Now I am pretty well versed on the autopark for the chevy/workhorse chassis, but can only guess for the Ford, so maybe someone can shed some more light on why they have this design and for what?

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Pirate wrote:
And the point is?

First point is to determine if the unit does self fill, which when you see the layout of it I would doubt very much. Second point is simply showing the brake pad assemble and the fact that this is what more then likely destroys the unit. I would assume that some (and I do know of a few) will drive off with the e-brake on for a short distance. This more then likely destroys the ATF which in turns destroys the unit. I doubt very much that it leaks out of the unit.

Last point is the one that Fireup stated. Anything that is built can be unbuilt and rebuilt. There really isn't that many components in the e-brake and it really doesn't appear like a NASA design.

So did you ever check your unit to see if it was overfilled?
Finally got around to checking the fluid. It was right to the bottom of the fill hole, right where I left it 2 years ago. I tried to squirt in a bit but it wouldn't take it. It was overfilled the first time I checked it but obviously it is not receiving new fluid now from the tranny.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Pirate wrote:
And the point is?

First point is to determine if the unit does self fill, which when you see the layout of it I would doubt very much. Second point is simply showing the brake pad assemble and the fact that this is what more then likely destroys the unit. I would assume that some (and I do know of a few) will drive off with the e-brake on for a short distance. This more then likely destroys the ATF which in turns destroys the unit. I doubt very much that it leaks out of the unit.

Last point is the one that Fireup stated. Anything that is built can be unbuilt and rebuilt. There really isn't that many components in the e-brake and it really doesn't appear like a NASA design.

No, but I will do it this week. Had to plant the garden today.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
And the point is?

There’s no fool, like an old fool.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Fireup, Pirate, and RLS I just want to say this is the internet at it's very best. It really doesn't get any better then that.

Hopefully before this thread is dead, some true understanding will come out of it.

ON EDIT:

For those that need more of a visual to follow (like me):

And the point is?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Fireup, Pirate, and RLS I just want to say this is the internet at it's very best. It really doesn't get any better then that.

Hopefully before this thread is dead, some true understanding will come out of it.

ON EDIT:

For those that need more of a visual to follow (like me):

There’s no fool, like an old fool.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
indyzmike wrote:
Thanks FIREUP, since it is so difficult to locate the part numbers for the gasket, shoes, and seals, can you help us along with that info? It would save us a lot of time and trouble.

Maybe Fireup has a different source. This is my source.
http://www.allstategear.com/ZFParkingBrake.htm

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:

Drain your e-brake assy to the bottom of the hole. Come back 6 months later and you will find it over full again. Just the nature of the beast.

Richard
Why oh why would would Ford have us check the fluid in the z-brake if it has a auto-fill feature? I was told that it was on it's side when built and then filled. I think some old wives seem to think it will remain overfilled from the tranny. I will go out tomorrow and check my fluid. A couple of years ago it drained to the fill plug level when I checked it. If it comes pouring out again, I will admit my mistake and move on.