cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freshwater Tank Replacement - Coachman Mirada (Solved)

lordnorth
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I have a leak in my system upstream of my water pump. This means either the line going to the pump, the connections, or the tank itself.

I am trying to find out 'worst-case-scenario' information.

If I DO need to replace the fresh tank... How do I go about doing this?

It is a 2011 Coachman Mirada 35BH.. I can *see* the tank through the very top of a compartment on the passenger side, but I have no idea how I would get in there to remove the connections, let along detach and remove the tank.

Can anyone help? I doubt you go in from the top... though that would certainly be the easiest. Can't see how you would go in from the sides. Going in from the bottom seems like it would involve cutting.

Is there something easy I'm missing?

Thanks for the help!!!!!
-Chris
5 REPLIES 5

lordnorth
Explorer
Explorer
Tal/IL wrote:
I am anxiously awaiting a report on this project. I've been looking at mine, thinking it looks like it will just slide out, also. If it does, I'm going to pull it out and move the overflow connection from the side to the top of the tank.

Please report how the project goes!

Hey! Might be able to save you some effort... I did some more research and found that with my polyethylene tank I would have to 'spin weld' the new fitting on.

BUT!

Looks like there is no need to move it. I'm just going to alter my vent a little bit and install a siphon break...

As long as the top of the larger tube is higher than the top of the tank, it will fill, spill over into the larger pipe, but the larger pipe won't let it siphon down. And because the 1/2 tubing runs up above the top of the tank, it won't flow until the tank is full, but at the same time, the water can't run UPHILL to drain.

Hopefully this all makes sense.

Certainly a lot easier to do than to move the ports.

Let me know if you need more info!

-Chris

lordnorth
Explorer
Explorer
Tal/IL wrote:
I am anxiously awaiting a report on this project. I've been looking at mine, thinking it looks like it will just slide out, also. If it does, I'm going to pull it out and move the overflow connection from the side to the top of the tank.

Actually, it was a pretty easy job. I was trying to find a buddy to help me, but he was tied up so I gave it a shot. The hardest part was getting the PEX disconnected from the ports. I ended up having to cut them off. They might be too short now to get back on, but I have a PEX crimping tool, so its not too big a deal to replace.

I had SERIOUSLY overfilled it once... Had an ice plug in the vent line... puffed up so much it pushed up the floor in the bedroom. But I don't think it cracked it. Seems to still take pressure. Now I need to look at the lines a little more closely to make sure they are all still good.

Might be a good point about moving the vent. Since I have it out, maybe I will do the same with mine. I put a valve in my vent line so that I could fill it with the valve open to vent, close it once it was full, then once the level came down below the vent I could open it back up again.

Obviously not a great system if I forgot to open it or close it at the right time. So maybe the top vent would be a good idea.

I say give it a shot. It really wasn't difficult at all.

-Chris

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer

35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

lordnorth
Explorer
Explorer
Never mind... I found it. I searched for it before but didn't think I had as much access as I do.

It is located above the propane tank on the passenger side. All of the connections and sensors are easily accessible, and it looks like the tank just slides out and then back in and has some brackets keeping it from moving around too much.

Feel kind of stupid.. but at least it looks like it shouldn't be a difficult job... which is a real change since everything else seems like you need to be born in there to actually work on it...

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not familiar with your coach but often times the compartment walls are removable. Do you see any screws or molding that might be covering screws along the sides of the wall on either side of that same compartment? Could be drivers or passenger side where the wall can be removed and many parts and pieces moved, detached and then the tank slides out. In my coach the black and grey tanks sit atop the fresh tank so pretty much everything has to come out. Not a problem, just time consuming.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?