cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front windshield leaking

Ev
Explorer
Explorer
My front windshield leaks in one spot from the top I have a two piece window had it fixed and it leaks and the molding on the side is coming loose what can I use to stop the leak myself and secure the rubber molding from blowing off more. Help until I get it to the shop.
Thanks,
Ev
2002 Georgie Boy Landau 3402DS Ford V-10
8 REPLIES 8

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I used clear packing tape over several windows that sprung leaks, because it doesn't look bad in a RV park where they are sticklers for looks. Even drove with it on there. It would last in heat, sun, and rain for weeks at a time. It did leave a residue if I left it up there too long though. Easy to remove with those 'goo gone' products.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of the posts above might tempt you to caulk it with something and call it done. I wouldn't. I would tape it to get it to the glass shop where it will be pulled and reset properly, using the correct adhesive as well as the correct amount of adhesive. If you are, in fact, headed to the glass shop, the glass guy will not be amused by whatever caulk you have applied and you will probably pay for the additional work to remove. Worse than that, a caulk you may use may cause a residual problem that interacts negatively with the proper caulk, thereby causing further problems.

Now, granted, my assertion above that the glass guy will "reset properly" is, maybe, a reach as many get it wrong. I've had glass guys tell me, on my coach, that the windshield is supposed to float in the gasket and another will say that the windshield is a structural component and is supposed to be entirely sealed in place. The last guy at Duncan Systems (Elkhart, IN) was the "entirely sealed" guy and, so far, absolutely no problems. Anyway... the point is... go to a company that does ALOT of RV windshields, not just the glass guy down the street.

I highly recommend Duncan. He does this all day, every day. They have quite the setup with the platform that raises and lowers and goes all across the front of the RV and around the corners.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Use this and it will never leak for 25 years. This stuff is tough, sticky and will get all over you too but works wonders, stays flexible. Use masking tape and apply, smooth out with your finger, use rubber gloves.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/cs/fueltanksealants/prosealant.php

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Duck tape might hold well, but does not like water and leaves lot of mess.
Don't use silicone. Use polyurethane caulk that you will find under roofing supplies.

Ev
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses could I use silicone caulking if Ineed it to be on longer instead of tape
2002 Georgie Boy Landau 3402DS Ford V-10

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
The blue painter's tape will also work well. Make you sure have a good clean surface.

If left on too long, it will also be hard to remove.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
blangen wrote:
Knowing I was headed straight to the shop and it was meant to be only short term, I ran several pieces of duct tape over the questionable top and down the side. That's what the glass guy said to get it there. Keep in mind... it will be a dog to get off if left for too long. Mine came right off the next day. Grabbed one corner and pulled off all at one time and left no residue.

+1 If duct tape is good enough for the space shuttle, it should work on your window for a day or two.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
Knowing I was headed straight to the shop and it was meant to be only short term, I ran several pieces of duct tape over the questionable top and down the side. That's what the glass guy said to get it there. Keep in mind... it will be a dog to get off if left for too long. Mine came right off the next day. Grabbed one corner and pulled off all at one time and left no residue.