cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas/Electric furnace

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen advertised an after market furnace that is both gas and electric. Has anyone done the change-over and was it worth the cost?

I can see where having an electric furnace might have it's advantages if you are on the road, staying in parks for a night or two when the weather is on the cooler side. Would definitely save on propane.

With all that said, I'm just concerned that it would take forever and a day to amortize the cost.
6 REPLIES 6

SteveL1948
Explorer
Explorer
I just do this!! Lifesmart 1500 Watt Infrared Quartz Heater Oak Does a good job in my 35' 2 slide coach.

ScottnSherrie
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Even your 2007 Fleetwood Terra (might want to change your sig) probably has a 24,000btu Furnace so you'll need 70amps of 120V electric for the same # btu's. Guess you could go to 50amp/240V service. Buy a couple of 15amp heaters and run one off of an extension cord.

Ditto on the ceramic space heaters. About the only time I run the furnace is when it is going to get below freezing since there are vents that keep the tanks compartments heated.
Running space heaters does require a little energy management but I learned quick when breakers tripped.
88 Gulf Stream 34' Sun Vista, Ford 460, Edelbrock Perfomer carb, Thorley headers
Ford F-250 crew cab 4X4, 6.0 turbo diesel
complete roof rebuild
daughter 19, son 16
US Army Desert Storm vets (both of us)
left: The Ol' Gal right: DW with White Lightnin'

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the RV Comfort system 4 years ago and am quite pleased. The kit cost me about $500. and I installed it in two days.
Kits are available for 30 or 50 amp service.
The best feature for me is the heat is provided evenly through the existing ductwork,controlled by the existing thermostat, and I can change to PL with the flip of s switch when needed.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even your 2007 Fleetwood Terra (might want to change your sig) probably has a 24,000btu Furnace so you'll need 70amps of 120V electric for the same # btu's. Guess you could go to 50amp/240V service. Buy a couple of 15amp heaters and run one off of an extension cord.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/

Are you talking about the above? I agree, It is very expensive. I like our heat pump in the AC.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
15 amps of electric is going to produce 5200 BTUs of heat regardless of the heat source. Unless you have a very small MH this is almost nothing. It sounds a lot better on paper than in actual use.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford