cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator problems

dennyvh
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Nexus Super C with two AC units. Both work properly when on shore power but when the generator is running, either manually or in autogen, when the temp gets hot both ac units try to start at the same time, and it trips the relay switch (?) under the bed and neither starts. It sounds like "thump, thump". It keeps trying to start with no success. If I shut off the back AC unit the front one will kick on and then I can manually start the second one. The problem is overnight when they both shut off they won't come back on until I shut one down and manually kick it on after the other starts. It kind of ruins any hope of a good night's sleep (argh!!). I had the generator into Oman and they say it is fine. . . any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

ronfisherman
dennyvh wrote:
I am the original poster and Nexus has been wonderful in working this with me. They have been nothing but responsive to all my issues. I have NO problem with their customer service. I have been working with Barb Loucks on this and they are trying to figure it out. I was just hoping someone on this list had experienced a similar problem and could point us in the right direction. This has been a frustrating issue for Nexus and me but I do not fault them. Thank you for trying to assist me. I have taken the unit back to an Onam dealer and they reproduced the problem but could not figure out why it was an issue .. . However, as of last night the unit seemed to be working. Perhaps something happened at the Onam dealer as he was running the diagnostics that fixed the problem. . .only time will tell. . .but I Have nothing bu.t good words for Nexus and Barb

Thanks for the good report.
Welcome to RV.NET.
So many threads end without a report back from OP.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
I do then apologize
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

dennyvh
Explorer
Explorer
I am the original poster and Nexus has been wonderful in working this with me. They have been nothing but responsive to all my issues. I have NO problem with their customer service. I have been working with Barb Loucks on this and they are trying to figure it out. I was just hoping someone on this list had experienced a similar problem and could point us in the right direction. This has been a frustrating issue for Nexus and me but I do not fault them. Thank you for trying to assist me. I have taken the unit back to an Onam dealer and they reproduced the problem but could not figure out why it was an issue .. . However, as of last night the unit seemed to be working. Perhaps something happened at the Onam dealer as he was running the diagnostics that fixed the problem. . .only time will tell. . .but I Have nothing bu.t good words for Nexus and Barb

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting developments since my last post. With a background in retail management it bothered me that you the poster are on this site trying to find out a solution to a problem with a NEW RV instead of contacting Nexus for help with your NEW RV. I wondered if Nexus had very poor customer service so on 9/4 I looked up on the Nexus site the e-mail for the CEO of Nexus and alerted him of this topic. Since then I have I received an e mail from the CEO of Nexus sent to me last night and today I have received an e mail from Barb Loucks, Director of Service for Nexus RV wanting to know how to contact you .
This kind of follow up indicates to me a very good customer service program.
It makes me wonder about the validity of the original posters problem or is this just some way of slamming Nexus RV.
If this is a legitimate problem send me a pm and I will give you the E-mail of Barb Loucks, Director of Service for Nexus RV and when I hear from her that you have contacted them for service I will publicly apologize on this forum for doubting the legitimacy of this post
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The generator is a 6000 watt Onan diesel model. It is more than enough for both A/Cs... but because both are starting at once, it is eating 120 locked rotor amps.

I wonder if there is a way to have one A/C just have the fan run while the other A/C starts up, then the second A/C would start its compressor. I also wonder if a hard start capacitor would help as well, as described above, but with both compressors firing up at once, I don't think even that would help.

Pianotuna is also right about generator exhaust... I'd consider a Gen-Turi kit since it gets the exhaust to disperse a lot better, and not around the coach.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Since this is a brand new Nexus have you contacted Nexus? If so what do they say?
Please let all that are on this forum know because if you have contacted Nexus and they are not helping you it says a lot about there customer service and would be a good warning to avoid the company
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It is cheaper to go to an inexpensive RV park than to run the generator all night.

Given how poorly the exhaust system is on most built in generators--I would not run it while sleeping.

Your generator may be undersize for the load being put on it. You might try adding "hard start" capacitors to both units.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ronfisherman
What are you describing as a relay switch? From the Nexus site it list a 6000 watt generator on the super C's. That should be enough to start both 13,000 AC's. You could have a bad connection in ATS or at generator.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Goes by several differnt brand names but is an "electrical management system" or "EMS". Monitors your power consumption and turns items on or off as needed. My 50 amp monitor shows which items it has selected to control at any given time. If I plug into 30 amps it so indicates just as it does if I switch to the generator. Smart gadget. If it hadn't been on my RV I probably wouldn't have got one. Now that I have used one I think they are the cats meow. Mine has a monitor panel that is approx 8 by 12 inches with lots of led lights.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
tommykelly wrote:
Fleetwood uses a "shedder" that allows only one A.C. at a time to start...(two roof airs on 30 amps and a 5500 Onan).works great
not knowing anything about your unit call the manufacture and ask them if it has a shedder or some other similar device to prevent
both A.C.'s from starting at the same time.

X2 on that. I don't have 2 AC's but it sure sounds like a lot to have both AC's try to start at once. My one AC starting loads the generator a lot. I would never be able to start 2 at once.

At home you have a lot more power available from the power grid to use at a time then you do when using your generator. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
Fleetwood uses a "shedder" that allows only one A.C. at a time to start...(two roof airs on 30 amps and a 5500 Onan).works great
not knowing anything about your unit call the manufacture and ask them if it has a shedder or some other similar device to prevent
both A.C.'s from starting at the same time.