cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Bye Class A forum!

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I joined RV.Net almost 20 years ago now when I bought my first motorhome, a gas Rexhall 32 foot Class A. It was a good motorhome, but it only lasted me a couple of years before I upgraded to a Tropical 35 foot DP. That was in 2004. Had that motorhome for 16 years and used it a lot. Great motorhome that only gave me minor problems. But after 19 years of Class Aโ€™s, we decided that the way we use a motorhome, weโ€™d be better off with something smaller. We rarely stay in any one spot more than a few days and we often cover a lot of miles when we do go out. The big Class A meant we always had to bring the toad because you just canโ€™t drive downtown real easy in a Class A. So we traded in the Class A on a Nexus Viper Class B+.

Just picked up the new motorhome last week in Phoenix and drove it home to Reno. Itโ€™s going to take some getting used to the smaller size, it was a little cramped, but the ease of driving and getting into places is going to make it well worth it. For example we drove home up the Extraterrestrial Highway. As we were approaching Rachel NV I see the famous black mail box on the side of the road. But I had already passed it by the time I saw it. In the DP with a toad there would be no going back. But since there was no traffic for miles, I stopped in the middle of the highway and made about a 8 point turn in the middle of the highway and went back to the black mailbox for some touristy photos. That was the main reason for changing. I want to make some cross country trips and not have to bring the toad and yet still be able to get anyplace I want to go. I think itโ€™s going to work out just fine. And one of the reasons for going for this particular motorhome over something on the Sprinter Chassis, is I have a 7.6 liter ford V-8. So if I do want to bring the toad, the Viper will tow it without problem.

So Iโ€™ll be giving up the Class A forum and be hanging out down on the Class B+ forum!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

20 REPLIES 20

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
Join the club! After 20+ years with a 34' TT, we sold it and are moving to a truck camper for those same reasons. We decided a TC would be best for us because we need 4x4 for beach access. Best of luck with your new rig and happy travels!

I always say, an RV can't be too big when it's parked or too small when it's going down the road...

I gave serious consideration to a truck camper. Having 4x4 would be nice since I live in snow country. The only think that stopped me is I really donโ€™t want a full size truck as my daily driver. I like my Ford Ranger. Also truck campers are too limited in storage and holding tank sizes. But they are very nice.

Truck campers seem to have really gone out of favor in recent years. IMO, the only thing they were ever good for was for frequent trips to hard to get, fishing holes and for having them pretty much to yourself.
Guessing if access isn't too bad, one could pull a TT with a 4x4 and still for getting places, that other campers wouldn't bother with. They even make them large and light enough for a Ranger, if it might be a 4 x 4, as well, otherwise an F150 with do the trick, easily.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
I joined RV.Net almost 20 years ago now when I bought my first motorhome, a gas Rexhall 32 foot Class A. It was a good motorhome, but it only lasted me a couple of years before I upgraded to a Tropical 35 foot DP. That was in 2004. Had that motorhome for 16 years and used it a lot. Great motorhome that only gave me minor problems. But after 19 years of Class Aโ€™s, we decided that the way we use a motorhome, weโ€™d be better off with something smaller. We rarely stay in any one spot more than a few days and we often cover a lot of miles when we do go out. The big Class A meant we always had to bring the toad because you just canโ€™t drive downtown real easy in a Class A. So we traded in the Class A on a Nexus Viper Class B+.

Just picked up the new motorhome last week in Phoenix and drove it home to Reno. Itโ€™s going to take some getting used to the smaller size, it was a little cramped, but the ease of driving and getting into places is going to make it well worth it. For example we drove home up the Extraterrestrial Highway. As we were approaching Rachel NV I see the famous black mail box on the side of the road. But I had already passed it by the time I saw it. In the DP with a toad there would be no going back. But since there was no traffic for miles, I stopped in the middle of the highway and made about a 8 point turn in the middle of the highway and went back to the black mailbox for some touristy photos. That was the main reason for changing. I want to make some cross country trips and not have to bring the toad and yet still be able to get anyplace I want to go. I think itโ€™s going to work out just fine. And one of the reasons for going for this particular motorhome over something on the Sprinter Chassis, is I have a 7.6 liter ford V-8. So if I do want to bring the toad, the Viper will tow it without problem.

So Iโ€™ll be giving up the Class A forum and be hanging out down on the Class B+ forum!

I think you'er going to miss the A, more than you know, but that's just my opinion.
As for turning any rig around, I've always found that it's the toad of concern and especially when heading down an unknown street, so that won't change with a smaller rig. Naturally you can always unhitch with any of them and we've done that a few times as well.
Anyway good luck with your new rig and for hopefully enjoying, it's all around use.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Bruce_Brown
^^^ Amen! I can relate!
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bruce Brown wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
^^^ I think Mercedes would be surprised someone put a Ford engine in their Sprinter chassis. :W Must be a prototype. :B Unless I'm missing something it sure looks like a Ford chassis.

Looking at the chassis specs I suspect the OP may mean the new Ford 7.3 engine??? The specs say "Ford gas engine" and "E450" so it's either that or the 6.2L.

I certainly hope msmith comes back to clear up the confusion.

Seriously though, just because the Class A is gone doesn't mean anyone has to leave. Everyone is welcome here.

Nice looking rig too!

Youโ€™re losing me? What confusion? I bought a Nexus Viper 27V which is on the Ford E-450 Cutaway chassis. It has the 7.3 liter V-8 engine which was new last year.

I read your original post wrong, I read it as you were saying it was on the Sprinter chassis - my bad.

The 7.6L Ford part was obviously a typo.

As you have noted, its the Ford E450 with the 7.3L. I'm real interested in your opinion on the engine. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Yeah, that one is on me. I was typing 7.6 but reading 7.3. Itโ€™s hell to get old!

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Bruce_Brown
gbopp wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:

That's what I thought but, the OP is sure it's a 7.6 engine.
That has me confused.

Yup - but in the very next post he said it's a 7.3. :B
Bruce & Jill Brown

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:

That's what I thought but, the OP is sure it's a 7.6 engine.
That has me confused.

Bruce_Brown
msmith1199 wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
^^^ I think Mercedes would be surprised someone put a Ford engine in their Sprinter chassis. :W Must be a prototype. :B Unless I'm missing something it sure looks like a Ford chassis.

Looking at the chassis specs I suspect the OP may mean the new Ford 7.3 engine??? The specs say "Ford gas engine" and "E450" so it's either that or the 6.2L.

Seriously though, just because the Class A is gone doesn't mean anyone has to leave. Everyone is welcome here.

Nice looking rig too!

Youโ€™re losing me? What confusion? I bought a Nexus Viper 27V which is on the Ford E-450 Cutaway chassis. It has the 7.3 liter V-8 engine which was new last year.

I read your original post wrong, I read it as you were saying it was on the Sprinter chassis - my bad.

As you have noted, its the Ford E450 with the 7.3L. I'm real interested in your opinion on the engine. I've heard a lot of good things about it.
Bruce & Jill Brown

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
OH Boy! Ford is making another new V8 engine for us to thrash about.
7.6 liter or 463.78 cu in. Wonder if it's diesel of gas?
Could it be a replacement for the 6.7 diesel?

Richard

I thought Ford dropped the 7.6 (462) in the late 1960's. The OP is sure it's a 7.6 engine. Maybe they have something new?

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
Join the club! After 20+ years with a 34' TT, we sold it and are moving to a truck camper for those same reasons. We decided a TC would be best for us because we need 4x4 for beach access. Best of luck with your new rig and happy travels!

I always say, an RV can't be too big when it's parked or too small when it's going down the road...

I gave serious consideration to a truck camper. Having 4x4 would be nice since I live in snow country. The only think that stopped me is I really donโ€™t want a full size truck as my daily driver. I like my Ford Ranger. Also truck campers are too limited in storage and holding tank sizes. But they are very nice.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Specs say 7.3L V-8 350 HP
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itโ€™s gas and itโ€™s been out for over a year as best I can tell. It appears to be getting me 11 to 12 mpg with plenty of power, so I like it for now.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
gbopp wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
And one of the reasons for going for this particular motorhome over something on the Sprinter Chassis, is I have a 7.6 liter ford V-8.

Are you sure it's a 7.6 liter Ford V-8 :@
\

Yes, Iโ€™m sure.

OH Boy! Ford is making another new V8 engine for us to thrash about.
7.6 liter or 463.78 cu in. Wonder if it's diesel of gas?
Could it be a replacement for the 6.7 diesel?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the club. Loved the DP but enjoy the spontaneous nature of the B.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bruce Brown wrote:

Nice looking rig too!

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4