cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Sams Insurance

USMC46
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting a lot of marketing mailers from Good Sam's suggesting I consider their insurance. I suspect they are more of a broker for other carriers. I have Progressive now. Anyone had Good Sams for a year or two and had any claims ? I'm curious if they are good to work with regarding coverage, prompt response, and getting you back on the road with minimum hassle. Worth checking out ? Thanks.
Jim & Carmel

2016 Escape 17b
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk With Factory Tow Package
20 REPLIES 20

FEDowner
Explorer
Explorer
I compare coverages and costs and go with the lowest. In my case it's AAA. I've heard they have my town locked up in pricing. I do have to buy the roadside. With my wife and I we get 8 calls a year on any vehicle.
'06 Damon Challenger, Nostalgia Dragster & 28ft trailer,
Calpurnia (born 12-20-06)daughter of Traiano & Jasmine,
At the Rainbow Bridge Sonia 8-30-06 our 1st Neopolitan Mastiff

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:

Like their insurance programs, Good Sam is basically a broker for their ERS plan. The current contractor that supplies the call center and service is Allstate Motor Club.

That I didn't know. How did you come across that information? Not saying it's wrong, I'd just like to know how you know it.
I just asked them when I called.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
USMC46 wrote:
Thanks all. Guess I'll look at the companies Good Sams uses and deal directly with them if I want a quote from them. I appreciate the feedback. I have had National Interstate and they went up so much I dropped them. Now Progressive is doing the same. Guess they all hook you and then raise rates. I'll check out USAA again also.

You don't have to do that, GS will do it for you and get you a discount you can't get by yourself. They got me a policy with a national company. Same coverage I had...and saved over $600.
2014 American Eagle

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer

Like their insurance programs, Good Sam is basically a broker for their ERS plan. The current contractor that supplies the call center and service is Allstate Motor Club.

That I didn't know. How did you come across that information? Not saying it's wrong, I'd just like to know how you know it.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I had Good Sam road service for several years and one year had a run of 4 calls for road service and they cancelled me. This after I had got several of my friends to sign up. Just 2 weeks ago one of them had a tire failure, called Good Sam, they sent someone, and he was charged over $800 because although he had paid them he had never activated his card-----now that is BS right there.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
USMC46 wrote:
Thanks all. Guess I'll look at the companies Good Sams uses and deal directly with them if I want a quote from them. I appreciate the feedback. I have had National Interstate and they went up so much I dropped them. Now Progressive is doing the same. Guess they all hook you and then raise rates. I'll check out USAA again also.

It's an unwritten law, that you have to change company's ever so often or get taken for a ride. What goes around comes around sometimes and it's even been known to be back with the same company years later with a better price. You won't get it by being a long paying customer, though and that's for sure.
Check out Allstate and State Farm, while you're at it.
Funny that SF once gave me the best price and then years later when Allstate bid lower, SF refused to even match it, let alone go lower.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I say if their price is good go for it!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Remember that the Sam in Good Sam is Sam Walton. He was a lifelong camper and RV'er. But then think about how his main company is run, and how much he did to make it run that way. Remember that Walmart pays employees to call other employees and explain how they can get government assistance...because they pay so poorly and have such poor benefits. Than ask yourself if your trust them as your insurance provider in any capacity. He's dead, but his anti-consumer legacy lives on in his multiple companies. It's all about profits.

Just sayin'.

BTW, I joined this forum in '04, after lurking on it since '02 I think. And the original owners eventually sold it to Goodsam. So this site is another Walton profit venture. One thing that really grinds my gears is that they haven't improved this forum since they bought it. The same old glitches or old fashioned techniques are still alive and kicking here on RV net. For a brief time after they bought the site, I kind of expected some improvements, a bit of modernization. I was overly optimistic.

I am afraid you are terribly mistaken. Good Sam's parent company is Affinity Group Holding, Inc. It is a privately held company and its Chairman and CEO is Marcus Lemonis. It has absolutely nothing to do with Walmart!

Yep, Marcus owns portions in the 50% range of so many companies, he's most likely lost track of some of them, by now. Even has his own TV show concerning some of his dealings. He is the CEO of Camping World as well, who has merged with Good Sam.
The question is, does he own an RV?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

USMC46
Explorer
Explorer
Jim & Carmel

2016 Escape 17b
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk With Factory Tow Package

I had Good Sam road service for several years and one year had a run of 4 calls for road service and they cancelled me. This after I had got several of my friends to sign up. Just 2 weeks ago one of them had a tire failure, called Good Sam, they sent someone, and he was charged over $800 because although he had paid them he had never activated his card-----now that is BS right there.

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
I have Good Sam (National General)for about 9 years and had at least 6 claims with no hassle what so ever. I pick who I want to fix my vehicle with zero hassle from NG. I would not change from them for most any reason. If they ever change my MH coverage from full replacement at original purchase price I may consider it.

I see you were in the military,as I was, have you looked into USAA company? One of their customers ran into me once and they were extremely good to work with.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you are right. I have my facts mixed up. Must have been a spoof article I read. First time I've been wrong in years. Harumpf. Well, apologize and move on my mom use to say...so, Sorry.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
Hmmmm, I can't think of any insurance companies that aren't out to generate revenue for their owners.

You are absolutely correct. The Board of Directors have a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders to provide a return on their investment, also known as a profit. However, how that is achieved is what separates great companies from inferior ones. Some companies invest in a quality product and put their customers (even their employees) above their own interests. Unfortunately, Good Sam is not one of them.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Remember that the Sam in Good Sam is Sam Walton. He was a lifelong camper and RV'er. But then think about how his main company is run, and how much he did to make it run that way. Remember that Walmart pays employees to call other employees and explain how they can get government assistance...because they pay so poorly and have such poor benefits. Than ask yourself if your trust them as your insurance provider in any capacity. He's dead, but his anti-consumer legacy lives on in his multiple companies. It's all about profits.

Just sayin'.

BTW, I joined this forum in '04, after lurking on it since '02 I think. And the original owners eventually sold it to Goodsam. So this site is another Walton profit venture. One thing that really grinds my gears is that they haven't improved this forum since they bought it. The same old glitches or old fashioned techniques are still alive and kicking here on RV net. For a brief time after they bought the site, I kind of expected some improvements, a bit of modernization. I was overly optimistic.

I am afraid you are terribly mistaken. Good Sam's parent company is Affinity Group Holding, Inc. It is a privately held company and its Chairman and CEO is Marcus Lemonis. It has absolutely nothing to do with Walmart!