cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got new Michelin shoes for my RV.. about to head to Canada!

TDInewguy
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all!

Here is the 8 year update on my super single tires... which I just replaced with a new set of Michelin X-One Energy Multi T (super single trailer tires) and new front tires. I went with the trailer tire in the rear as they no longer make the X-One XRV - which is what I had. The Multi T is very similar in tread and pattern to the XRV...

Overall I put about 80,000 miles on the tires and the rear were down to about 6-7/32" of tread and were starting to get weather cracked. The fronts were still looking like new with a little of river wear but I didn't want to risk with 8 year old tires.

I kept with the exact same front tires - the XZA2 Energy in a 275/70/22.5 and the rears of a 445/50/22.5.

I know that not many people have done the single rear tire conversion on a motorhome, but from fuel consumption to ride and handling I really like them.

The way the RV handles - it's actually got a 3" wide track with these tires and better hydroplaning resistance than with the duals.

So the question - would I do it again - yup. I just did.
SSSStefan

2009 Newmar AllStar 4154
2014 VW Passat TDI - toad!
Featherlite 28' Enclosed car hauler
1966 GTO - super cool car as seen on Driven1
3 REPLIES 3

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Looked into going the Super Single route then did the math on the cost of the new rims, etc and it's take me a lifetime of fuel savings to recoup the costs.
Another issue I've heard from the trucking industry is that if you have a catastrophic failure of one of the SS tires you can almost bet on replacing the rim too due to damage.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the report.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Good report thanks!