cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS for RV use.

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Garmin 260W GPS. It still performs great but is 6-7 years old. A few years ago I looked into updating the maps but found it to be very expensive.($100 or so) I just tried to check again but the web access on this campground is painfully slow.
Question is: Does anyone here use one of the RV specific GPS's? The ones that alert of low bridges, weight limits etc.
Any advise and comments are welcomed.
We either need to update maps or change unit as we are staring extensive travel.
Tank you in advance,
Keld
9 REPLIES 9

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I got tired of the expensive map upgrades for my old Garmin also. Instead of buying a newer GPS I installed Co-Pilot live USA an android app on my tablet and smartphone. Co-pilot app has a setting for RV which I use and has worked great. I use the Co-pilot Premuim app.

"Happy Trail"
Chiefneon

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
WE have been running 760 with lifetime maps for 6 months. best unit we have ever had, 7 inch screen, Bluetooth to phone, has auto,RV and Truck mode. In major metro areas has real time traffic updates. Voice activated if you want that we do not use much except to show off. With the right system you can use a back up monitor and TPMS again we do not use.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
We just ordered the Garmin RV760LMT and the Mexico map. Should be here early next week! We looked into both the Magellan and Rand but neither one have a Mexico map available. That was the deal breaker for us. Up to now we have been using Garmin's Nuvi 1450 and have been happy with that but we want the larger screen and the ability to program in vehicle height.

We'll post here somewhere (Probably the Mexico forum) after we've tried it out for a while, in early December.

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
Retired,

I'm in the same boat as you - but I bought a reconditioned GPS off eBay to replace the old one I had in the RV (old = 4 years!). The new one, a Garmin 2650 LMT has lifetime map upgrades and lifetime traffic. I actually paid just a little more than purchasing a map only upgrade for my old unit! The new one is slick, has voice commands, etc. For us, it was a good decision. I did not get the one specifically for RVs.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
retiredtravelers2013 wrote:
My apologies.
I did a search, but maybe searched for the wrong thing.
Sorry
Keld

No need for an apology...many of us are not in favor of the, "Do a search," response to a perfectly reasonable question from a new member.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My apologies.
I did a search, but maybe searched for the wrong thing.
Sorry
Keld

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's some light reading for you....67 threads on this topic...enjoy....:B....Dennis

RV GPS units
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Here is Garmin's newest unit...dedicated for RV'ers.
Lots of POI's bells, whistles and settings for RVing.
Life time map updates...+ traffic.

Garmin 760LMT...LINK
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
do a search. lots of prior threads on this.
bumpy