cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handling “hard dried stuff” in the black tank ?

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
..... anyway to SLOOOOWLY dissolve it and rinse it away ?
22 REPLIES 22

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a huge fan of Unique Camping and Marine's product line. Magic elixir? Maybe, but their tank cleaner product is part of my yearly tank management regimen and their RV Digest-It drop ins are part of my ongoing tank treatment.

Every time I dump, when finished I go back in the rig, let about 2 or so gallons of water flow into the black tank and throw in a drop-in. No odors, no backups, very easy and complete dumping. Their entire product line is backed up by a regimen of tank best practices, like never operating your black tank with the valve open when at a full hookup campsite, using plenty of water when flushing the toilet, etc. I suspect their tank cleaner product will do wonders on dried feces and tank gunk. Just follow the instructions and you are sure to get good results. In fact if you may want to use their tank sensor cleaner. It is my understanding that it is their super concentrated tank cleaner product and that may be more useful or work faster for dried up tank sludge, than the regular tank cleaner.

Take a few minutes, read the content on their site and maybe take a chance on them. Plus, their tank cleaner and sensor cleaner can be allowed to sit for an indefinite period of time to allow the bacteria and enzymes to digest whatever is in the tank and liquefy it. Considering the time of year, I'm not sure where you are located, but up north it is getting cold at night and I've already winterized, but if your weather is still above freezing, throwing in a bottle of tank cleaner or sensor cleaner and a reasonable amount of water in your black tank and letting time work on it should do the trick.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brandon the Traveler wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

I just went thru ALL Rid X operational uses including the FAQ section. There is NOTHING in the Rid X literature that states using hot water will harm or do anything to the Rid X. The Reason I stated Boiling/Hot water is to help melt the solids in the bottom of the holding tank, to allow the Rid X to do a better job. Doug

Probably because no one ever asked the makers of Rid-X the question. Who filla a septic tank, which may be 1000 gallons or more, with boiling water? Anything over 140* is going to render the Rid-X inert.
I have to go with Doug on this as he is a RV Master tech.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
If you have time, fill it with water and let it sit. It will eventually soften up. Go for a drive before dumping to make sure loose. Repeat this process a few times.

Ice does nothing unless the water is already close to freezing to keep the ice from melting so fast.

I personally wouldn't dump boiling hot was down my plumbing (home or rv). Being a plumbers son, it could cause damage.

It the toilet drops straight into the black tank, you can try a wand to help the process. It if goes straight down, you can do as my uncle did and stick your broom stick handle down and try to help dislodge (he was warned not to keep his black tank opened).

Good luck! It sounds like a sh!tty job no matter how you look at it! lol
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
Hard layer in bottom, for quite a while. Have been using the super friendly environmentally safe stuff, for quite a while. Tried letting it sit long time,did nothing.Tried soaps, bumpy roads, did nothing. So,when I went away (on the 7th), had found some old style now illegal? stuff, Thetford aqua-kem ultra concentrate.Added a bit of water and that, before I left.2.5 bags of ice.Well,having a toilet right on top of the tank,only so much ice would drop,must be a splash baffle.So when I would stop to pee,I would drop in more ice,till all was in. About 5.5 hr drive,one way, 2 hrs rough dirt and gravel,each way. Same road as last year,when I tried soap. Stayed a week, Got home to 30" of snow so camper/truck been sitting. Has warmed up, snow mostly gone, so 4 days ago dumped the tank. Got hose and wand ready. After dumping, looked in tank,(good flashlight!), all was very clean! Did not need wand, just hosed from back a bit, and very little of anything came out. This is what worked for me.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
LandYacht35diesel wrote:
Poop pyramid ! ... lol .... my situation is this ... I have the MH in my shop and am not going to use it any time soon. At least 30 days .... so the MELTING IT AWAY is my preference! MY CONCERN IS ..., that the pyramid BREAKS UP then interferes with the closing of the gate valve. That gate valve situation happened when I got the motor home from the RV dealer in Tucson.... a tampon got stuck in the valve path ! They fixed it

So if you have lots of time, just add water. There are plenty of bacteria and enzymes already present. There is no need to add magic elixirs.

Assuming the tank is directly below the toilet, break it up with a metal rod (I was shown once the handle for pulling the awning out works great...just don't go crazy and punch thru the bottom of the tank).

Ideally, with the water still in the tank, take it for a 20-30min drive and don't be shy about making it a jerky ride....then dump.

If it makes it into the 3" pipe, it should pass thru the valve.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

I just went thru ALL Rid X operational uses including the FAQ section. There is NOTHING in the Rid X literature that states using hot water will harm or do anything to the Rid X. The Reason I stated Boiling/Hot water is to help melt the solids in the bottom of the holding tank, to allow the Rid X to do a better job. Doug

Probably because no one ever asked the makers of Rid-X the question. Who filla a septic tank, which may be 1000 gallons or more, with boiling water? Anything over 140* is going to render the Rid-X inert.
I went.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Water and Rid X or enzymes. Let it stew. Flush.

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
Poop pyramid ! ... lol .... my situation is this ... I have the MH in my shop and am not going to use it any time soon. At least 30 days .... so the MELTING IT AWAY is my preference! MY CONCERN IS ..., that the pyramid BREAKS UP then interferes with the closing of the gate valve. That gate valve situation happened when I got the motor home from the RV dealer in Tucson.... a tampon got stuck in the valve path ! They fixed it

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
I would shut the tank valve boil as much water as possible and pour that hot water with the rid x. Try to get at least 20 gallons of hot water and let sit for a few days. Hopefully that will break up the poop and get it into suspension to then drain out and flush. Doug

Why not dump 20 gallons of boiling water and a $10 bill down the turlet? The hot water will kill off the bacteria in the rid X, which is @ $10 a box, and even when active without boiling it to death will do nothing in something with a small volume such as an RV HOLDING tank. May as well use the $10 bill and save the cost and time of running out to buy the rid-X.

OK smart #ss. I posted a solution. What is your solution? Doug
Fill it with water and let it sit, then flush it out with a wand, and bacflow valve fitting, then buy a 6 pack with the $10 which is a much better use for it. Poop is not concrete. It has completely different properties and can not be used to pour a highway driving surface or a bridge abutment.

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
I would shut the tank valve boil as much water as possible and pour that hot water with the rid x. Try to get at least 20 gallons of hot water and let sit for a few days. Hopefully that will break up the poop and get it into suspension to then drain out and flush. Doug

Why not dump 20 gallons of boiling water and a $10 bill down the turlet? The hot water will kill off the bacteria in the rid X, which is @ $10 a box, and even when active without boiling it to death will do nothing in something with a small volume such as an RV HOLDING tank. May as well use the $10 bill and save the cost and time of running out to buy the rid-X.

Fill it with water and let it sit, then flush it out with a wand, and bacflow valve fitting, then buy a 6 pack with the $10 which is a much better use for it. Poop is not concrete. It has completely different properties and can not be used to pour a highway driving surface or a bridge abutment.
I went.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
RID-X® now offers the NEW RV Toilet Treatment, which is specifically formulated for usage in your RV, Marine and Portable Toilets.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:

Well I used warm water from the tap, about 20 gallons and a half box of Rid-X. I let it set for about three weeks. Drove to a campground for a weekend and dumped the Black tank, the water was a bit chunky and very dark, it was much better.
There was a layer of dried poo in our black tank when we bought it.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

I went.