cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having our 2006 Phaeton Seal-Tech leak tested

seeing_the_sigh
Explorer
Explorer
We realized that if DH (me) wants to retire early, next April at 57 Y.O. A new motorhome may never happen. So its more important then ever that our current 11 year old Phaeton does not have any leaks or any small area of compromised sealant.

I have a mobile RV tech with a seal-tech machine showing up tomorrow morning. Our Phaeton has been stored inside since day one and I wash and wax the roof 1 time a year, as I wash the roof I am always looking at the condition of the sealants.

Is it possible that I will not see any air bubbles on the roof when the inside is pressurized? I hope so. Has anyone had this test done and been 100% bubble free? Please let me know of your experience with a Seal-Tech test. Thanks, Cyndy and Joe
6 REPLIES 6

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
I had this done 13 years ago on my 35' TT I was living in while in Portland, OR. Great test to fix something before trouble really happens. Nice having that piece of mind.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

seeing_the_sigh
Explorer
Explorer
It was a mobile tech Thats what I wanted so I could be on the roof as the test was being done. a local shop would not let me on the roof. It was $325.00 I was hoping $200-$250 It took 2 hours. But now I know our camper is not a leaker you do not want to know you have a leak when the water is dripping on your head. Time to find out is long before you see damage on your ceilings and walls thanks Joe

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
What was the approx cost for that seal tech service and how long from start to finish was the fellow there doing the test?
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

seeing_the_sigh
Explorer
Explorer
So after we hook up the Seal Tech machine and start spraying the soapy solution on all windows, doors and roof we find only 4 small bubble areas on some parts of the side outs and front door no bubbles on the roof so happy about that. I believe the Seal-Tech machine is the only way to tell if a opening is present.

The 2006 year tiffin Phaetons have the separate metal radius in the roof from new. 2007 is the year that the roof had a change. Went to Red bay 3 years ago for the wet bay replacement and the slide out floor was and still is fine.

I am very happy that when we tested the roof that it did not show any leaks. Will do this test in 2 years thanks Joe

norwestie
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to call Tiffin and see if yours was among the large number of Phaetons that had faulty radius roof rails. If you can make it down to Red Bay, they may replace them at little or no charge. There was also an issue with the wet bay floors and slide floors rotting that they can address.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
2012 Ford Edge Limited toad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sounds like a well maintained rv, think a leak test is a good idea.and your older unit is better than some of the not so good rv,s they build now.