Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heavy Class C Tire thoughts

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All!

I've had some tire issues in the past so ready to try something different. I have been running toyo's forever out of convenience.

I was planning on going with the Michelin LTX A/T2 tires but I see these Michelin Agilis Cross Climate tires. They are about the same price. So wondering if they are better.

Also I see the XPS Rib which is a fair bit more but if it means no tire issues, I'm in!

Or if there are some higher weight capacity tires I'm missing please fill me in.

What do you all think?

Thanks!
2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent:(
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)
40 REPLIES 40

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
whemme wrote:
RambleOnNW wrote:
whemme wrote:
Sorry to say but all E rated tires of a certain size by any brand have the exact same max load carrying capacity when inflated to 80 psi.

Actually not. You can see from the Michelin load tables that the dual application of the C-Metric 225/75-R16C has 1000 lbs. more per pair or 2000 lbs. more per 4 rear tires at 80 psi. 5950 vs. 4940 lbs. per pair.

https://www.rvsafety.com/images/pdf/michelinloadandinflationrvtruck.pdf
But the Michelin 225/75-R16C is not an E rated tire. You are trying to compare apples to oranges.

So what Load Range do you think it is? It says right in the table it is an LRE.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
whemme wrote:
RambleOnNW wrote:
whemme wrote:
Sorry to say but all E rated tires of a certain size by any brand have the exact same max load carrying capacity when inflated to 80 psi.

Actually not. You can see from the Michelin load tables that the dual application of the C-Metric 225/75-R16C has 1000 lbs. more per pair or 2000 lbs. more per 4 rear tires at 80 psi. 5950 vs. 4940 lbs. per pair.

But the Michelin 225/75-R16C is not an E rated tire. You are trying to compare apples to oranges.

I think it is. See load range in link.

https://www.tireamerica.com/tires/sku/michelin/agilis-cross-climate/225-75r16c-121-120r-e/0000000000...

Previous RV's

whemme
Explorer II
Explorer II
RambleOnNW wrote:
whemme wrote:

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
RambleOnNW wrote:
whemme wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out. That's what I was thinking as well.

Previous RV's

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
RambleOnNW wrote:
Holiday27 wrote:
I think I'm sold on these. The weight capacity seems pretty great and price is ok. Capacity appears higher that regular E rated tire maybe due to commercial rating.

Michelin - Agilis CrossClimate 225/75R16C 121/120R LRE

https://tires.costco.com/product?ItemNo=1331851

I looked at those too and it will be interesting to hear how they turn out. Those tires check a lot of boxes, sidewall protection, true all-season with Mountain snowflake winter rating, weight rating. Note that the C-Metric version has a directional tread whereas the non-C metric version does not. So each dual set of wheels will have to have a left and right tire? What to use for a spare, a non- C-metric Agilis?

For me it was go with what you know. Bridgestone all-steel cased tires were dependable for 8 years and the tire weight of 51 pounds.

Thanks for pointing out the directional thing. I didn't notice that. Honestly it doesn't matter to me though because I don't rotate my RV tires. For my spare I'll use my newest Toyo tire which I think is about a year old so non issue.

I'll keep you posted on the crossclimates!

Previous RV's

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
whemme wrote:

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
All of the issues I've had with the toyos have been separations (4 in all over 8+- years). 1 was after only 500mi!. So honestly, I'm over toyos. Time to try something new for me.

I understand how you feel regarding โ€˜moving onโ€™. The Cross Climate seem to be a vg choice with the @3100# rating.

Were those previous 4 separated tires from the same purchase ? Over 8 years ?
If so, that could have a bad lot. Mfg defect or age ?
Tire separation is normally mfg related but can be heat, PSI or age related which can and has occurred most all tire brands including Michelin.

No, I had upgraded the tires after purchase a couple years later. The tire that separated in 500mi replaced another tire that separated, so not a "lot" thing. My coach is very heavy so not bad mouthing Toyo. I suspect I'll have similar issues down the road but with added weight rating maybe I'll get lucky!

Previous RV's

whemme
Explorer II
Explorer II
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Holiday27 wrote:
I think I'm sold on these. The weight capacity seems pretty great and price is ok. Capacity appears higher that regular E rated tire maybe due to commercial rating.

I looked at those too and it will be interesting to hear how they turn out. Those tires check a lot of boxes, sidewall protection, true all-season with Mountain snowflake winter rating, weight rating. Note that the C-Metric version has a directional tread whereas the non-C metric version does not. So each dual set of wheels will have to have a left and right tire? What to use for a spare, a non- C-metric Agilis?

For me it was go with what you know. Bridgestone all-steel cased tires were dependable for 8 years and the tire weight of 51 pounds.

SJ-Chris
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
"With E rated tires (which is what the manufacturer recommends), if the rear axle is at max load there is very little extra weight margin and my opinion is that the tires are being stressed"

Wait a sec. Are you saying the actual rear axle weight on the scales is enough to max out the Es? Or are you saying the Es are not enough to meet the rear GAWR of the C?

What is the rear scale weight for that C as loaded for camping and what PSI do they want on the door label ?

Yes! I will have to dig up the actual numbers (or someone else will and post them here...), but if you are at the max weight rating of the rear axle and the E load rated tires are at their proper inflation (80psi max), there is very little weight buffer.

Yes, I understand that you should not be above your Max axle weight limit to begin with. But most people don't routinely (or ever) weigh their RVs fully loaded (ie. full tank of gas, full water tank, full grey/black tanks, full gear, full number of passengers, tow tongue weight if towing something, etc). Then, what happens when you hit bumps, dips, potholes, etc on the road? I don't want to risk it.

The Commercial 121/120 rated tires gives an extra ~500lbs per tire weight carrying capacity. x4 gives you 2000lbs of extra buffer. Like I said...I sleep better at night knowing it is there.

Side note: A few months ago, I had an inner rear tire go out (stem broke). So just ONE E rated tire was holding the entire weight of that side. I drove about 10 miles without knowing, including about 3 miles on the freeway. Thankfully, it didn't blow. I guess they are pretty tough. But still...I'll go with the Commercial 121/120 load tires just to be safe.

Good luck!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of the issues I've had with the toyos have been separations (4 in all over 8+- years). 1 was after only 500mi!. So honestly, I'm over toyos. Time to try something new for me.

I understand how you feel regarding โ€˜moving onโ€™. The Cross Climate seem to be a vg choice with the @3100# rating.

Were those previous 4 separated tires from the same purchase ? Over 8 years ?
If so, that could have a bad lot. Mfg defect or age ?
Tire separation is normally mfg related but can be heat, PSI or age related which can and has occurred most all tire brands including Michelin.

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer

Previous RV's

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
"With E rated tires (which is what the manufacturer recommends), if the rear axle is at max load there is very little extra weight margin and my opinion is that the tires are being stressed"

Wait a sec. Are you saying the actual rear axle weight on the scales is enough to max out the Es? Or are you saying the Es are not enough to meet the rear GAWR of the C?

What is the rear scale weight for that C as loaded for camping and what PSI do they want on the door label ?

If the OP has an E450 based C, at the max RGAWR the E rated tires are also right at their max. With most of these rigs there is very little air space in the wheel wells which makes the tires run hot and prone to tread separation in hot weather. Your E350 C is lighter, so if you run E rated tires you can inflate to 80 psi and have a comfortable margin. A 450 runs the same size tires, but has no margin tire-wise when fully loaded. If the OP wants real margin in tire capacity, he can go with a Rickson tire and wheel package but they are spendy.

Yep, it's a 450 so at max. Thanks for the Rickson tip but I've been down that road 3 years ago... put in order... wait 6 months then no response. I don't know what happened. Luckily no money down/lost.

Looks like I'm stuck with E's, I just need to get the highest quality tire available.

Previous RV's

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
SJ-Chris wrote:
On my 30' Class C RVs, I have made the choice to go away from the E rated tires and instead go with Commercial tires with a 121/120 weight rating. I buy my tires from Big-O tires and they don't seem to be any more expensive (~$20 more per tire).

With E rated tires (which is what the manufacturer recommends), if the rear axle is at max load there is very little extra weight margin and my opinion is that the tires are being stressed (...especially if they ever end up not being properly inflated). Tires at their max load MUST have a higher chance of a blowout, right? With Commercial 121/120 load rated tires, they give you an extra ~2000lbs of carrying capacity (compared to E rated tires) on your rear axle and I sleep better at night knowing this.

I just bought 7 new Commercial rated tires last week for one of my 30' RVs. The tires were $135 each.

Personally, I haven't noticed any difference in terms of handling or noise.

-Chris

I'll look into commercial, one of the tires I was looking at XPS rib is a commercial tire (its pricey tho). I'll have to check with the local tire shop for others.

Thanks!

Previous RV's

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
BFL13 wrote:

If the OP has an E450 based C, at the max RGAWR the E rated tires are also right at their max. With most of these rigs there is very little air space in the wheel wells which makes the tires run hot and prone to tread separation in hot weather. Your E350 C is lighter, so if you run E rated tires you can inflate to 80 psi and have a comfortable margin. A 450 runs the same size tires, but has no margin tire-wise when fully loaded. If the OP wants real margin in tire capacity, he can go with a Rickson tire and wheel package but they are spendy.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3