cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Can I Have This Set-Up With A Class B ???

Zig220
Explorer
Explorer
Our family is about to dive into the world of "Full Timers" and after a lot of discussion, we think that our best set up would be to have a Class B (approx 22') towing a travel trailer (17" - 23" range). We have been looking at Class B RV's in the 22' range like Gulf Stream B TOURING CRUISER and R-Vision TRAIL LITE. Basically models in the early 2000's are all we can currently afford and they all seem to have either the Vortec V-8 or Ford Titan V-10. So, my question before we start looking at purchasing is, will a Class B RV like the ones mentioned above pull a typical travel trailer around 23' long? Will it be able to pull up mountain highways like in Colorado and also handle the braking going down the mountains? Thanks for any input you can provide!!!!
7 REPLIES 7

Zig220
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your replies!!!! Very much appreciated. I think the most important point brought up that we never thought about was the need to have two campsites when staying in a campground. So, I guess back to the board room and try to decide on another combination. Thanks again!!!

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Zig220 wrote:
Our family is about to dive into the world of "Full Timers" and after a lot of discussion, we think that our best set up would be to have a Class B (approx 22') towing a travel trailer (17" - 23" range). We have been looking at Class B RV's in the 22' range like Gulf Stream B TOURING CRUISER and R-Vision TRAIL LITE. Basically models in the early 2000's are all we can currently afford and they all seem to have either the Vortec V-8 or Ford Titan V-10. So, my question before we start looking at purchasing is, will a Class B RV like the ones mentioned above pull a typical travel trailer around 23' long? Will it be able to pull up mountain highways like in Colorado and also handle the braking going down the mountains? Thanks for any input you can provide!!!!
As has already been stated, it might be difficult to find a "true" Class B that would be able to pull much of a "travel trailer". We own one of those you mention a R-Vision Trail-Lite. Our Trail-Lite (that happens to be a Class C) weiths 9,100 lbs ready to roll. It is rated for a maximum of 12,300 lbs (GVWR) for the motorhome. The maximum weight for the motorhome and trailer is 16,000 lbs (GCVWR). So, in theory, I could pull a 6,900 lb trailer (9,100 + 6,900 = 16,000). The problem is my hitch is rated for 350 lbs tongue weight and maximum of 3,500 total weight. That might not get you much of a camping trailer. You could pull a Pop-Up trailer for sleeping accomodations.

We did own a Palomino that may have been possible.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
I'd worry about the B's transmission capability for such a load, especially if you're considering mountainous driving. That doesn't include other concerns about braking, engine temps, etc. Motorhomes in general (B's and C's) just don't have the ability for big loads after you've included passengers, cargo, fuel, etc. You could maybe pull a tent trailer with no problems but bigger stuff will probably not work out too well.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Zig220 wrote:

Those are both small Class C's. Many owners over on that forum.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
years back I was considering doing the same and found one unit that had a 10,000 lb. hitch and about 7-8000 lbs of available capacity. think it was a 2100 model of ?? but I doubt a 23 footer would work.
might have better luck with a TC instead.
bumpy

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Not only the towing capacity but the maximum gross weight allowed for the Class B.
A lot of RV's have been built with no reserve for a large trailer being towed as far as the gross weight of the towing vehicle.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of issues come to mind with the setup:

You need to determine the towing capacity of the Class B you want and the weight of the TT you plan to get. This is the only way you'll know if the Class B has the capacity to tow the TT safely.

Campgrounds usually only allow one RV per campsite. You'll need to find two sites together which can be difficult during busy season.

I don't know your family dynamics. If I planned to travel with a family I would consider a toyhauler type trailer either bumper pull or 5th wheel. The garage area will carry all the extras and provides a flexible space once you are at a campsite. Bedroom, class room, entertainment area, dining area,....etc.

For a tow vehicle a suburban/navigator or full size van for the bumper pull. For the 5th wheel a CrewCab Dually truck or regular cab pickup and car/minivan driven separately to provide space for everyone.