cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with my inverter (SOLVED AND HOW THE STORY ENDED)

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
You can skip down to "NOW MY QUESTION" if you don't want to mess with reading how this came about. It's kinda long and but if you have comment on it, I'd appreciate it.

I'm on my maiden voyage with our new to us M/H. We've had a M/H for years but this is quite an upgrade from our old Allegro Bus. We're in a Monaco Windsor. We just traveled about a 100 miles to a State Park to check everything out.

Here's how the trip went and problems we've encountered. We got about 50 miles from home and the generator died. It's the Onan quite diesel 7500. I've ran this genset 3 or 4 times since we bought it in April. I let it exercise for a couple of hours. It's super quite and purrs like a kitten. I actually didn't know I lost power until it started getting warmer inside. Anyway, I pulled to the side of the road restarted the genset. It cranked up OK and the A/C came back on. It died again within 30 seconds. I was thinking maybe a low oil shutdown. We only had about 30 more minutes of driving so we just used the dash air and it was plenty cool enough. It was late when we got to the campground so I didn't mess with it at the time. This morning I checked the oil and coolant and they are full. I cranked it back up and it ran for about a minute and died again. The start panel gave me 3 blinks which is "shutdown due to some other abnormal condition". The secondary code was 36 which is "Check fuel level and check air filter". I pulled the air filter and it is new. I have over 1/2 tank of diesel (according to the gauge). I dipped the tank and it shows about the same. OK, maybe the pick-up tube is not far enough down inside and the genset only works on the top half of the tank.

Now for a couple of other problems that occurred. After the genset died, the refrigerator tried to switch to propane. It didn't light and showed a fault code of "Sr", which is a fault in the refrigerator controls. That was while we were still driving. After we got to the campground, I plugged in and switched to A/C and it starts working again. This morning I switch to LP and the burner does not light with a fault code of "no FL" which is "burner did not light". I opened the panel and there is no flame and no clicking (from the automatic spark igniter). I'm switched back to A/C now and it's working. I'll clean it and find the problem with the propane when I get back home in a few days.

NOW FOR MY QUESTION:

I've got a Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter/charger. I've not had an inverter before. The only thing I understand about it is that it takes charge from my batteries and converts it to 120 volt A/C. Why didn't my refrigerator continue working from the inverter? Am I supposed to set something to make it run from the inverter? How can I make the fridge run from the inverter on my trip home IF there is something else wrong with the genset (if it doesn't work after filling the tank)?

Remember, I know nothing about the inverter so please be simple. The display panel says: Invert - Enabled : AC Charge - Enabled : System Mode - Operating : Cascading - Enabled

Sorry for being so long but I thought you might need the background info.

Thanks for any help.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C
15 REPLIES 15

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
My inverter does not provide power to the gas/elec RV fridge, just selected outlets in the coach, typically near the TVs. Yours may be the same.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad