cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with slide

kkiger
Explorer
Explorer
So, I let a friend borrow the coach for a trip with his family, I know, I know. While he was parking, he ran over a railroad crosstie. He ran over the far end and the back end "see sawed" up and did some damage to the bottom of the middle storage compartment door. I will post some pics if I can figure out how. The damage to the door isn't my main concern. When I went to let the slide out, the rear motor stalled. After manually putting it back in and reading some, I cranked the engine and tried it again. It went out with what appeared to be no problem. However, when I try to pull it back in, it stalls again. I'm thinking the crosstie bent the slide arm and it's causing the motor to stall. I haven't been under it yet, it was dark when I got it back.

Any thoughts?
Heather, Savannah, Kevin Jr., and me
2008 Itasca 35J
2008 Jeep Rubicon in tow
7 REPLIES 7

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Good attitude for keeping things in perspective. It's only a vehicle that can always be repaired and a good friendship is far more important. Let us know what you find.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

kkiger
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies. Sailor_lou, My cargo doors do extend with the slide, I'm about to head that way and do some investigation. Luckily, I'm a pretty easy going person and my friend is truly a good friend and responsible person. He has already offered to pay for all the damages and then some. I'm more interested in getting the damage fixed. If the slide is all jacked up, I worry about leaking and future problems.
Heather, Savannah, Kevin Jr., and me
2008 Itasca 35J
2008 Jeep Rubicon in tow

Scars
Explorer
Explorer
...and since this was an accident, insurance coverage should apply. Let your friend pay the deductible and then develop a "NO-LEND" policy. 🙂
'03 Monaco Monarch SE 31'

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Popsie wrote:
Call out a mobile RV repair service, and send the bill to your friend who did the damage. Then you both will be square. Otherwise, this will haunt your friendship forever.

What he said x10.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
Call out a mobile RV repair service, and send the bill to your friend who did the damage. Then you both will be square. Otherwise, this will haunt your friendship forever.

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
On my rig the slide mechanism is at the bottom of the slide itself (above the cargo bay doors) and far away from the described damage area. I do recall seeing that with some Winne's the cargo bay doors move with the slide, do you have a similar setup? If so, it sounds like the damage may not just be the door, but perhaps also to the cargo bay. Maybe it is racked upward or to the side and is rubbing on something else. I would think that would happen before the slide arm would bend, but I am not familiar with your specific slide configuration. I would look before trying to extend/retract it any more to prevent additional damage. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try to manually retract the slide and see if there is any binding.