Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda EV3610 generator Problem

belgian_gulfstr
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,
Our Rig is a 1995 Gulfstream sunsport motorhome with a Honda EV3610 220v generator.
When we returned home from our last Holiday ,it was very hot outside and therefore we kept our generator running to cool down the Motorhome with our rooftop Coleman Airconditioning. It ran over 6 hours , then we stopped at a gasstation and turned the gen off. After An hour we tried to start it up again but it wouldnt start. It seemed to be running but when I release the start button the generator's engine dies.
I checked all fluids and fuses ,checked the gasoline, everything ok
But it would not start,
Back home , I changed the oil , cleaned the sparkplugs but no luck.
Only when I hold the startbutton for about 30 -40 seconds , sometimes the green light on the gen comes on and then it keeps running.
I disconnected the connection to the motorhome's 220v circuit. And tried again , no luck.
Then I switched the AC switch on the gen to OFF , then start ... Green light on the gen comes on and the gen kept running !
When I try to start with the AC switch on , the gen stops when I release the start button.
I reconnected the motorhome 220v line . Started the gen with the AC button off and turn on the AC switch when the generator was running and everything worked ! I had 220v power inside the motorhome .
What is the reason why it won't start with the AC switch on ? It has always worked that way.
Hope someone recognises the problem .

Thanks ,

Eddy Kovac, Belgium
Eddy
1 REPLY 1

belgian_gulfstr
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I found the cause of not starting.
After I removed the cover of the AC-Switch I noticed a sort of Capacitor behind the Switch.
It seemed to be a Noise-Filter to avoid Radio -Interference when the Generator is running.
It seems that Capacitors have a limited Life before they begin to leak and causing short-circuit or other problems.
I I removed the Part and connected the wires and Yes... the Genny starts immediately with the Ac-Switch ON . Ordered a Replacement Filter 220V-16A for $20 (The Original costs about $275 !!)
Case Closed.
Eddy