cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip to Canada

Bailey_Travis
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Ontario and stayed in Algonquin Provincial Park. It was great and highly recommended. Despite having put gas in my diesel tank (thankfully I did not start it) and being towed to a local auto shop that siphoned the tanks and refilled them. The trip was without problems. Diesel is a little higher, they requested passports and seemed surprised when I showed rabies vaccination for our dog which they require according to Canadian websites. We were able to get into the park on a first come basis without reservations which is a little risky depending on time of year. The roads are better than the US IMHO. The internet and cell phone connection was very poor. I look forward to going back to another Canadian area. It's very enjoyable. We own an Airsteam Interstate which performed well especially in the smaller camping spaces. It was a good little 3,200 miler! from Nebraska.
9 REPLIES 9

studio_driver
Explorer
Explorer
A few comments on Jim Shoe's posting.
Many places (except a large number of provincial parks) will accept credit cards so there is no need to carry lots of cash. Also, you can draw local currency from your bank account using you bank card at many ATMs that are open 24/7.
Fuel has been sold in liters for many years. For pumping gas, self-service is getting to be the norm.
Tim Horton (widespread) and Starbuck (present mainly in cities) tend to attract a different clientele.
As for food, the law requires the price to be displayed per gram or kilogram but most stores will also display it per pound, often in larger numbers.

Alain

PS: Remember that the laws regarding firearms are quite different in Canada.
2007 PW Excel TS
2 adults

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Another double post. Hard to believe that the internet is slower than my typing.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago, I took my MH to Alaska via Alberta, British Columbia and the Yukon. Plan ahead to get a passport. It takes some time. When I crossed the border northbound, the customs person asked me if I'd ever been fingerprinted. I didn't know then and I still don't, but I told him "Maybe when I joined the Navy". That worked. It didn't cross my mind until later that my passport had my index fingerprint on it. Whatever you do, don't lie. They already know the answers to the questions they ask. All the information you supplied to get a passport is on a computer screen in front of them.
Take some $CN with you before crossing the border. Most banks can do that for you, but don't count on the teller at your local bank to have it on hand. $5 CN is the smallest paper money denomination, but they have $1 and $2 coins called Loonies $1, and Toonies $2. And don't expect most stores in Canada to have both in their cash registers. Once in Canada, you can convert money at most banks, but they aren't open on Sundays.
Tim Horton's is the Starbucks look alike.
Petrol (Gasoline) is sold in $CN by the imperial gallon. Don't bother with the conversion. Let your charge card do it. And attendants pump the gas. No choice there.
Most vehicles manufactured in the states have a speedometer marked Miles per hour and Kilometers per hour, so no big deal. Until you come to an overpass with the clearance measured in meters. You don't have to carry a book of conversion tables, but its a good idea to make a note of your unit's height in Meters.
I did all of this ahead of time and was feeling pretty smug until I walked up to a deli counter in a grocery store and found the meats and cheeses priced in $CN per gram. So I just ordered 8 slices. And I still don't know that conversion. I also stayed in several CGs that had 20A and 50A hookups, but no 30A. But I had "dog bones" for that.
Strangely, I barely had to slow down crossing the border into and leaving Alaska or re-entering the U.S. Just one question. "Anything to declare?"
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Bailey

Glad you enjoyed Algonquin Park. Been there as I lived in Ontario for many years. Consider coming out to Vancouver Island BC where the roads are excellent, the RV resorts and parks great and the folks are friendly here too. You dont have to drive far on the Island to see great scenery so gas consumption is not a big deal.

regards
AL

Bailey_Travis
Explorer
Explorer
It's so nice to hear your responses! We had to come back a couple of days early due to a family death. The Canadians we met were wonderfully friendly and a delight to visit with. They were the highlight of the trip and the trip was great. We stayed at Algonquin Provincial Park at Cannis Bay which my wife kept mispronouncing as cannabus, what a laugh! I really want to see the areas referenced in the posts. What a treasure Canada is! There are many places in the states that are great of course, it's just so nice to visit "another country". Thank you for your hospitality!

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I have always enjoyed my time in Canada. On my adventure to Alaska I enjoyed the trip up and back as much as the time in Alaska. I also recommend the north shore drive around Lake Superior.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you enjoyed part of the park.
The park is about 2946 sq miles in size, close to the size of Rhode island and Delaware put together.
Most of the park is not accessible by vehicle, however there are many interior campsites that you can canoe into.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We've always enjoyed our trips to Canada, you should come out west and try British Columbia, Yukon, NWT, and Alberta. Plan on at least a month to take all the sights in. Maybe for your first trip just go to Jasper and Banff to whet your appetite!

moll672
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you enjoyed your time here Up North. Which campground were you in? There are plans in the works to add WiFi to provincial parks. Some in favor, some not. Checking your road map you can see just how huge the park is. Road through is in bottom corner and it is a good drive to get to the north end. Hoping to try northern campgrounds in next few years. Take care.
2014 Silverado 5.3 Crew Cab
2004 KZ Sportsmen 2253 5th wheel