cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hooking up shore power to my conversion van

salvatorejrm
Explorer
Explorer
I want to be able to hook up shore power to run my van lights and TV while docked and not kill my battery. It's a 1999 ford conversion van.
Thanks for any advice.
17 REPLIES 17

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
BTW. I never had to plugin to do anything in the van.we didn't have a microwave or airconditioner. Non electric sites are cheaper.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Your best bet is a really good charger for your starter battery but it may be bad for it and cut it's service life down. It is called a starter battery for a reason but it could work. My last van had everything going to the starter battery and I added AGM deepcycle batteries and a smart charger. I ran a positive wire through the fire wall to the Deep cycles and grounded the deep cycles to the van. I then routed the conversion stuff to the batteries via a fuse box. The batteries worked whether plugged in or not and no worry about drawing down the starter battery.

salvatorejrm
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the whole van is 12v I don't want to bring 110 into the van just want to power everything in the van already with out killing the battery.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
salvatorejrm wrote:
I don't have a chassis battery and my wife likes to leave the TV on all night.

So, the TV is 12-volt ????

And you'll be plugged into shore power at the CG, correct.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess you know most camp grounds with electric will have a regular 120VAC 20AMP Receptacle on their pedestal.

You can just plug-in an extension cord and run it inside the VAN and plug in what ever you want to run...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
salvatorejrm wrote:
I have a 10 amp diehard charger that I use to charge my car barrettes will this work?
Yes but it may not have adequate amps, try it.

You may want a larger charger that is a 2 or 3 stage charger to better maintain the batteries.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
salvatorejrm wrote:

The 15 amp electrical outlet outside my RVan rusted/shorted out. I just plugged my surge protector/power strip into one of those 12 gauge/3 prong extension cords, tossed it out the window and plugged it in. When my overhead heater/AC went out I called in a mobile "fixer" to the campground and he went in and replaced the rusted wiring AND replaced the outside hookup thingy and sealed it well with silicone to prevent future rusting.
I dont have any other batteries since I always hook up to shore power. When I hook up to 15 or 30 amp I can run my AC and one of the other high draw items like microwave, electric fry pan, coffee pot, toaster. Like your wife, I too like the TV on all night but I got one of those surge protecting, brown out protecting battery backups that I plug my electronic stuff into. When I am watching TV I am hooked to my DISH satellite and if there is a power out it will require I go thru the whole setup, a pain.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

salvatorejrm
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10 amp diehard charger that I use to charge my car barrettes will this work? I just bought the van so I'm not sure if it has one but I will check.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also wondering if you already have a charger but it's not working for some reason.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, since from your description the chassis battery also supplies the interior lights etc (house equipment). And of course while plugged into shore power.

Bob

salvatorejrm
Explorer
Explorer
Will a battery charger on the chassis battery keep it charged while using the accessories in the van while it's not running?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
salvatorejrm wrote:
Clearly you meant house battery as the chassis battery is for the engine.

Is your rig is not set up for a house battery then perhaps adding one and all of the equipment is a solution but likely involved.

Since you asked about hookups why not just add a basic battery charger to the battery?

Bob

salvatorejrm
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to use the power at the campground will not be plugging it in at home. Thanks for the info much appreciated.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My assumption was apparently wrong - You will need to install a couple of batteries in your van and purchase a 300WATT PSW INVERTER to be able to do what you ask.

You will also have to watch your battery charge status and if you drain them down below 12.0VDC and not recharge right away they will not last very long. i.e. you will need to come up with a good way to re-charge your batteries.

What you don't want to do is tap into your VAN START BATTERY system otherwise you will run it down and be stranded somewhere and probably have to replace that battery as well...

You need a PLAN B called a small generator

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS