cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot Water Heater Check Valve Failure

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, I was starting to winterize my MH last night, and had the H2O heater drained with the plug out. I started to pump anti-freeze into the plumbing via the winterizing bypass tube, and noticed anti-freeze draining from the H2O heater. I Googled the issue and it seems to point to a bad check valve on the H2O heater on the hot out side. My H2O heater is buried underneath cabinetry and flooring, so beyond my means to reach it. There is exposed PEX piping in a outside compartment near the single valve winterization bypass. I am looking for alternative ways to winterize without fixing the check valve, as it does not impact normal camping season operation, and suggestions? Thx!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad
10 REPLIES 10

Our_Ride
Explorer
Explorer
Hello we went through this same problem with our 2007 Winnebago Journey. The trick is to do all your winterizing first and leave the hot water tank full and make it the very last thing to do. The bypass valve will work perfectly. Hope this helps.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the advise, I am going to go the pressurized air route and be done with it. After all, the plumbing all works in non-winterized mode. Thx!
Jeff and Kim

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Might be best to not bother with the antifreeze, instead use air to clear your plumbing.

Next spring, find a pipe near the heater and add a check valve there. Don't bother removing the old check valve.

Also, RV water heaters are suppose to be removable from the outside. No need to cut holes in floors and such. Suppose to be that way. Doesn't always happen, so I'd suggest a call to the manufacture and ask to talk to a plumbing tech.

RV water heaters do come out from the outside. BUT, depending on the OEM, HOW much flex is included in the LP/120 and rear water lines may make it difficult to do without accessing the rear of the water heater from the inside. Some OEM's if the water heater is down LOW on a sidewall may have a removable access panel from the underside of the RV to access the water line connections. Calling a OEM maker and asking this type question is futile. NONE of the OEM's would have anybody that could answer this type question. They build so many different models and variations and over the course of years, they would have nobody that would have that kind of knowledge. Doug

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Might be best to not bother with the antifreeze, instead use air to clear your plumbing.

Next spring, find a pipe near the heater and add a check valve there. Don't bother removing the old check valve.

Also, RV water heaters are suppose to be removable from the outside. No need to cut holes in floors and such. Suppose to be that way. Doesn't always happen, so I'd suggest a call to the manufacture and ask to talk to a plumbing tech.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Razorback
Explorer
Explorer
Mine does the same thing (98 bounder) but if I put the plug back in the tank does not fill.
Johnny and Bonnie
1998 Bounder 36'
2012 Honda CR-V

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Easiest way is to buy 6 more gallons of antifreeze(or 10 if you have a 10 gallon heater) install the drain plug and then pump the system full of antifreeze. Once done have a catch can and then drain that 6 gallons of antifreeze from the Water Heater and save for the next time you winterize. Doug

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is in bypass.
Jeff and Kim

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Did you turn the bypass valve ?

Moved from Forum Technical Support

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually it will impact future use. Replace it. It is going to be in the top port.