cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

house system excessive draw?

my1972ih
Explorer
Explorer
Upon attempting to re-connect the house batteries after the winter, there is a significant spark and I hear something activating or moving under the motorhome. Any guesses? 1988 Winnebago Superchief 31RQ
10 REPLIES 10

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
my1972ih wrote:
Upon attempting to re-connect the house batteries after the winter, there is a significant spark and I hear something activating or moving under the motorhome. Any guesses? 1988 Winnebago Superchief 31RQ

Start with disconnecting 12vdc loads, one at a time and you might have to go to the fuse panel for this.
Completely disconnect the chassis batteries while you're at, as well and maybe before doing anything else.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
My biggest parasitic load was the radio.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
240 milliamps is normal detectors and circuit boards even when "off".
That is the exact reason you need to stay plugged in, get solar or disconnect the battery when not in use.

my1972ih
Explorer
Explorer
steps were turned off. Could be appropriate parasitic draw. It passes through one of the 30 amp Parallax charger converter DC fuses.

MrWizard
0.24 amps, aka 240 ma
totally normal, fridge controls, gas sensors etc.. will draw that with no problem
thats normal parasitic draws
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
|Did the step retract/extend when you connected the battery? Maybe the step light is on and drawing current?
Just a thought....
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Relays that might be sticking. Gas sensors. WE get several sounds when I connect the battery back into the system and turn on the master switch. Cycle them a few times every 10 minutes or so. Hopefully all the relays will settle down.

my1972ih
Explorer
Explorer
there is a constant .24 amp draw. Level system is off. Everything I can see is off.

MrWizard
check that your leveling system switches are ALL off

other than that, you will get a spark from the capacitors in the converter and inverter taking a fresh charge
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Water pump? Generator fuel pump? Auto steps?
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------