cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Common is a 4WD Class C?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are thinking about selling the TT...we love the space when it's set up, but it's a lot to drag around. Now that we're older and mostly travel alone or with another couple, it would be great to be more nimble. Towing the TT is like driving a semi, you can't just "stop along the way", what/where we can stop is always contingent about "can we get the TT in there".

So that's the thinking about a C, now the 4WD part....One of the reasons we always had a TT was camping on the beach, but 4WD is required. There are a lot of beach fishing spots here on LI that don't allow camping, but they do allow truck campers, 4WD vans, etc. No overnite camping, but you have a nice bathroom, a place to change, nap, have lunch, or just get put of the sun for a few mins.

So after hours of discussion, we are thinking that a "smaller" C with 4WD would fit the bill. How many of these things are built with 4WD? Has anybody converted a Class C to 4WD?
73 REPLIES 73

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
Photomike wrote:
I would like to get a good set of chains for the Class C for emergency use in place of 4x4 for muddy/ slushie /snowy roads but most Class C's state no chains.

Mike ... what's up with "but most Class C's state no chains"?

I've carried chains for our E450 24 foot Class C for years ... just in case. I'd put them on the outside rear tires if ever caught in heavy snow on mountain passes. The chains would probably even help some in certain desert road conditions when we go out there looking for rocks.

Is there some reason that chains on the outside rear tires wouldn't be recommended?

I am not sure, I have tried to find out why but nothing firm. One person said it has to do with the fact that it is not metal around the rear wheels. There was a thread on another forum about his, if I can find it I will post a link but that was a few years ago.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Photomike wrote:
I would like to get a good set of chains for the Class C for emergency use in place of 4x4 for muddy/ slushie /snowy roads but most Class C's state no chains.

Mike ... what's up with "but most Class C's state no chains"?

I've carried chains for our E450 24 foot Class C for years ... just in case. I'd put them on the outside rear tires if ever caught in heavy snow on mountain passes. The chains would probably even help some in certain desert road conditions when we go out there looking for rocks.

Is there some reason that chains on the outside rear tires wouldn't be recommended?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
For me I would love 4x4 on my class C but it is honestly too wide for anything around here other than gravel roads.

BurbMan wrote:
Beaches are flat, so overhang is not really a concern like it would be if you were trail running or rock climbing.

Yes the original poster would only really need the 4x4 part and some good tires for the beach. Many long class C's used on beaches without issues.

A lift would be nice but as soon as you try lifting any RV center of gravity becomes an issue on top of everything else.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is important to deal with an issue..that of the rear of the unit dragging when exiting or entering a steep angled river/creek bed or even stumps and rocks. Referred to as the 'angle of departure'. When one sees the sharply angles read body of European and Australian rigs..where the body comes right up after the rear tires?

What people do then, is to have a sheet of aluminum installed underneath to protect whatever is under the frame and house. In my case, the tanks. Most 4x4's have skid plates installed to protected the important bits.like transfer cases and transmission.

There is so much advantage to having a 4x4 conversion done. I wouldn't do it for a beach only. But...for deserts, for mountains, for snow covered roads..and I don't mean off-road travel, but those really neat places you want to get to..and out of an abundance of caution, don't.

A person does not need to spend the huge bucks...there are a couple conversion shops that will convert your C to whatever it is you want for about 20,000. A lot? Yes...but nothing like the price tag for a new anything.

As an alternative to 4x4...look at having a limited slip differential put in. Get it lifted and a winch and you are well on your way to some pretty neat traveling.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beaches are flat, so overhang is not really a concern like it would be if you were trail running or rock climbing.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not common because they are expensive and the long overhangs of most C motorhomes don't work well with typical 4-wheeling environments. Tiger (http://www.tigervehicles.com/) makes the least expensive off-road motorhomes, building short houses on 4x4 pickup chassis. Xplorer once did, long enough ago that used examples might not be too expensive. Beyond that, you would be getting into excursion vehicles that cost hundreds of thousand of dollars new, whether built for recreation or industrial use.

If just for driving onto a beach, you can get a 4x4 conversion (http://www.quigley4x4.com/ for example) or maybe find one used. That can be on a camping van or cutaway with a larger Class C house. Which one works depends on how sharp the grads are getting to your beaches, e.g. the overhang on my 29-foot C hits a lot on short driveway ramps and some dips in city streets, on a beach that might just dig into to the sand.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Just finishing up a three day Remembrance Day long weekend jaunt...I am absolutely fearless in my 24ft 4x4.

Gary Haupt

borpa11
Explorer
Explorer
Very uncommon. I know this is an older thread but my class C 4wd conversion was done by Advance 4wd Solutions of Utah and has been flawless. The entire conversion was just over 16 K but that included lift, lockers and on board air which of course have rarely been needed. Just another option for those serious about this if they are still in business.

I would absolutely concur with units like the Tiger being really optimal. I love mine and will drive until she dies but a smaller footprint and girth would be nice but oh how I like my space (32 footer).

SweetWaterSurpr
Explorer
Explorer
GULFMAN wrote:
Check out the Phoenix Cruiser they have 4-wheel drive.
If i was to buy a class C it would be a Phoenix Cruiser.

That's the route I went. It's great

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep an air compressor in the storage compartment and frequently air up as needed. Yes, I'd be quite worried to air down so aggressively without having the spacer in place.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Not all can use a spacer. I was chasing them and with mine? Nope. As far as airing down...I would, only if and when stuck..and air back up soon's I could.

Gary

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
No rubbing if you add a 2" aluminum spacer to rear wheels. I had one made from company I believe was in Oklahoma about 14 years ago. Yes, wouldn't like to have a sharp shell or stick cause an issue to the sidewalls. I mounted Michelin XPS steel wall tires on my rig so they could handle going down to 15psi when on the really soft stuff; usually only go down to 22-25psi and do just fine on the North Carolina beaches.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reading about all the above airing-down of Class C tires for travel on beach sand: I guess that the rubbing together of the rear dual sidewalls when aired-down doesn't wear off some material each time you do it?

(Assuming the rear duals are stock mounted - without spacers between the rims.)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Phoenix Cruiser they have 4-wheel drive.
If i was to buy a class C it would be a Phoenix Cruiser.

SweetWaterSurpr
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
I grabbed this pic from the LI Camping FB page. The sand here is soft on the beaches, but air down to 15psi and 4WD and no issues. This might be my dream rig right here:

Heck, I tow the trailer out n the soft sand, just air everything down. Not me in this pic but where we camp:

I'd love to know what tires are on that rig