cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Polish the Fiberglass Cap?

David99
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1995 Fleetwood Southwind with a sloping front cap. The last time I polished it I laid down on the roof and reached down with the polisher. That's not something I want to do again! I am also dealing with a sloping driveway that compounds the problem. Any clever ideas on how to polish and wax the top of the front cap?

❚ Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★"?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to posting issues with Open Roads Forum sites, member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using this forum for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT
11 REPLIES 11

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few good ideas you might consider.

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
I have used 2 step ladders and a painters scafford to to mine
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I wash my windshield before each trip and often will hit the area above the windshield that I can reach while washing the windshield. When doing a full wax, I get on the roof and do the part I can't reach from the windshield. This at least keeps me from hanging over the edge when on the roof.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
see how much it would be a day to rent a little scissor lift. I live in a small town some times the town will let you use theres.
It would be safer and faster
easier on the knees
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you parked facing the other direction in the driveway, you'd at least have that slope un-compounding your problem rather than compounding it.

Some scaffolding (and most stepladders) aren't really designed for safe use on ground that slopes much.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
David99 wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I don't see a silver bullet, however, so I guess it's just hang out over the ladder and lie down on the roof. I haven't tried the floor polish routine , but in any case it's been (hate to say it) 10 years since I buffed out the oxidation properly so it needs that no matter whether I use wax or the liquid polish approach. I might try to rent some scaffolding anyway to try it out.

The floor polish works for me. Some like it, some do not. Use the wax of your choice after using the Red Max process to clean the front cap.
You will be happy with the results.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
while looking for some scaffolding I found a swimming pool cleaning rod which extends very long. I will be trying this out shortly.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

David99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I don't see a silver bullet, however, so I guess it's just hang out over the ladder and lie down on the roof. I haven't tried the floor polish routine , but in any case it's been (hate to say it) 10 years since I buffed out the oxidation properly so it needs that no matter whether I use wax or the liquid polish approach. I might try to rent some scaffolding anyway to try it out.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
On our 1996 Southwind I use an 8' step ladder to reach most of the front cap. I must get on the roof to finish a small section I can't reach from the ladder but, it's not difficult.
I have used a couple sections of scaffold but soon learned the ladder is easier and just as effective.

Have you considered the Zep/Red Max Pro process for the front cap? It did a nice job for me.

mydazeoff
Explorer
Explorer
Borrow or rent a couple sections of scaffolding, cross boards or platform. Kneel the front of your rig down by the landing gear as far as you're comfortable with so you can reach high. Go to work polishing.
mydazeoff
Annapolis, MD
Cedar Creek RLSA34, GMC3500HD Duramax

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tall ladder