cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a toad.

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my 5th wheel a year ago and been pretty happy with the Class C towing a trailer with either my motorcycle(s) or my UTV. This coming spring the wife wants to go NE and we'll need a toad of some sort to get around. I'm thinking Honda CRV and I'm told 2010-2014 are the easiest to do flat towing with.
I'd like to hear some other suggestions. Oh, and it will not be a daily driver when we're home.
2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner
19 REPLIES 19

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Well do you want an automatic or are you capable of a manual transmission? We tow a 13 Hyundai Elantra with a 6 speed trans. tows well easy to work on if needed. Be cautious of the gm products I have watched several videos on them being repaired and one was called the bmw of america. To repair a water pump about 1/2 of the engine compartment required being pulled. check you tube videos dont remember which guy did it but there have been more than 1.

ronfisherman
I towed a 2012 Chevy Captiva for 5 years. Sold it to friends that are still towing it. Captiva’s are the Chevy version of the Saturn Vue. They stopped building them in 2015. Parts are compatible with Chevy Equinox and Malibu drivetrain parts.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
You say it will not be a daily driver when it's home. Will it strictly be a toad, and sit idle otherwise? That would have a very strong bearing on what I would buy.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chev Sonic except the sporty RS version can be flat towed. Sonic made a hatchback which offers storage space.
Other Chev’s are also towable , one is the Equinox. They advise to start and idle the vehicle for 5 mins every 200 mi or so to recirculate the tranny fluid.

I added a charge line from the rv to keep the toad battery charged. I did that mainly bc i drilled holes in my taillights and installed bulbs/sockets instead of buying a special harness for running lights. If i need extra side marker lighting at night or on rainy days , i just flip on the toad parking lights.

You also have to turn the key ‘on’ to free up the steering wheel lock. Make sure to turn the ignition to the first click not the second click, that way the odometer will not register mileage.

Only when i flat tow , the latest thing i did was carry a full size mounted spare inside the hatchback .
I recently shredded a tire on my toad while towing at 1 AM and only had a donut on board. I had too far a drive to get home and had to spend the night at the tow companies yard. A full spare could have been changed by me and i could have been on my way home .

As per one of our members suggested ,
Im also adding tire psi monitors on the toad bc i could not feel the tire go flat after hitting some potholes.
By the time i realized it, i was riding on the rim.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Find a jeep..no more worries with what's towable
preferred one that has a dis connectable font hubs.
most of the jeeps are front bumper towable without baseplates.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.