cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you had to buy again today...

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
would you buy bigger or smaller? We are on a 5 year plan before traveling long term. We have just begun to look at rvs. There are many really good sized rvs.I know there is such a thing as toooo small, is there such a thing as being too big. For those who are long term travelers would you buy, if you could buy something different today, a smaller size, the same size or larger vehicle. Please share what size you have now.
130 REPLIES 130

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like a plan Passin Thru

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go shorter. 40 ft is too big for us. I'd probably like a 38 with King size bed. I don't care for all the toys, just basics and a W/D combo. No outside TV, no outside kitchen, just lots of drawers on rollers. I would like a 400 HP engine as we go to Co-NM but could get by on smaller engine. Like to tow our Chevy pickup and ATV loaded in the back of it.

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
Chowan wrote:
Kidoo wrote:
Not sure yet, my Class is expensive to run. This year I replaced all tires, problem with the turbo, radiator busted. I now I have a big rock hit on my windshield and do not know if it is repairable. It is my 4th rock this year and those windshield are a big hit on the bugget.
Does insurance not cover windshields?
Mine does. In Florida, there is no deductible for windshields because they are considered safety related and they don't want motorists driving around with cracked windshields.

I don't think every state is the same, however.

Thanks for the reply

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Chowan wrote:
Kidoo wrote:
Not sure yet, my Class is expensive to run. This year I replaced all tires, problem with the turbo, radiator busted. I now I have a big rock hit on my windshield and do not know if it is repairable. It is my 4th rock this year and those windshield are a big hit on the bugget.
Mine does. In Florida, there is no deductible for windshields because they are considered safety related and they don't want motorists driving around with cracked windshields.

I don't think every state is the same, however.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:

We never did have to replace our pano-windshield on the Dynasty. I did get two rock hits and had both repaired. One was invisible and one was noticeable. Those windshields are about $2,500 from I understand.

On our new coach, we have the split windshield and the windshields are less than $400 each. I heard that sometime Prevost will run a sale at $175 each. One of the Prevost members said he buys four at a time when they are on sale!

Since Prevost buses are used for passenger use, they have a volume purchasing power!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
Considering my TV, I would have gone a little smaller with a slideout.
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Chowan wrote:
I have no experiance with rvs. That is why I am asking experianced folks the question. What is your experiance? Thanks for the reply

What RVs have you looked at and test driven? What are your impressions of them?

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
rollingslow wrote:
We spend about 9 months a year in our 35fter bigger would be nice but we like state and nat parks and any bigger would limit were we can go so...

Bigger is better unless it doesnt fit

rollingslow
Explorer
Explorer
We spend about 9 months a year in our 35fter bigger would be nice but we like state and nat parks and any bigger would limit were we can go so...

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
It would be nice to get a real powerful engine IF so desired, but it does not work that way in the real life. Companies that manufacture coaches install engines according to the weight of the vehicle. If a motor home is around 19K in weight they will install a ISB Cummins engine. I can guarantee you that you will not get a ISL 450 on a light weight motor home. ISL Cummins engines are installed on coaches over 30K lbs.
And you will not see a 600 hp Cummins on a 30K lb coach. It ain't going to happen.

Some people want to drive 80 mph on a coach and that is why they want horse power. Which is crazy.

What a person wants on a coach is torque at the wheel.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
I have a Tiffin Red 38QRA with 340hp Cummins ISB. I will not buy another with less than 450hp ISL. is this one adequate ? Yes But there are times especially when passing that more power would be a safer route.

This info is good to know. Thanks

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
mkc wrote:
st687 wrote:
If I had to buy another coach,I would look for a used Foretravel U320
38ft. with 2 slides,it would be the perfect coach for the wife and I.

Bill - you do know Dr. Cupp's coach is for sale, right? It's the 2003 38 ft, 2 slide, U320 with a tag at MOT.

Michelle
Do you have a picture of this rig, and information on it?

Suspect this is the one: http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv/foretravel/2003--u320--38--C1843
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/