cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If you had to buy again today...

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
would you buy bigger or smaller? We are on a 5 year plan before traveling long term. We have just begun to look at rvs. There are many really good sized rvs.I know there is such a thing as toooo small, is there such a thing as being too big. For those who are long term travelers would you buy, if you could buy something different today, a smaller size, the same size or larger vehicle. Please share what size you have now.
130 REPLIES 130

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tiffin Red 38QRA with 340hp Cummins ISB. I will not buy another with less than 450hp ISL. is this one adequate ? Yes But there are times especially when passing that more power would be a safer route.

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
I wouldnt buy bigger, i would buy more power.

Good info. What do you have now? And how much more power would you like to have?

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
Chowan wrote:
would you buy bigger or smaller? We are on a 5 year plan before traveling long term. We have just begun to look at rvs. There are many really good sized rvs.I know there is such a thing as toooo small, is there such a thing as being too big. For those who are long term travelers would you buy, if you could buy something different today, a smaller size, the same size or larger vehicle. Please share what size you have now.
What sizes of rigs have you owned, or are you a first time RV buyer?

I have no experiance with rvs. That is why I am asking experianced folks the question. What is your experiance? Thanks for the reply

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
mkc wrote:
st687 wrote:
If I had to buy another coach,I would look for a used Foretravel U320
38ft. with 2 slides,it would be the perfect coach for the wife and I.

Bill - you do know Dr. Cupp's coach is for sale, right? It's the 2003 38 ft, 2 slide, U320 with a tag at MOT.

Michelle
Do you have a picture of this rig, and information on it?

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnt buy bigger, i would buy more power.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Chowan wrote:
What sizes of rigs have you owned, or are you a first time RV buyer?

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
st687 wrote:
If I had to buy another coach,I would look for a used Foretravel U320
38ft. with 2 slides,it would be the perfect coach for the wife and I.

Bill - you do know Dr. Cupp's coach is for sale, right? It's the 2003 38 ft, 2 slide, U320 with a tag at MOT.

Michelle
2017 LTV Unity

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
the silverback wrote:
We have a 40FT MH now, I would definitely look at a 38 to 40Ft 5th wheel. They have some great floor plans.

I was able to get in a few 5th wheels. They have some very nice floor plans. I am still leaning to the A though.

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
Snomas wrote:
Buy the longest & biggest you can afford. Diesels will cost you more for maintenance than gas, but they are much better to drove, ride in, etc IMHO.

I hear ya snomas.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
the silverback wrote:
We have a 40FT MH now, I would definitely look at a 38 to 40Ft 5th wheel. They have some great floor plans.

Been there done that. I'll stick with the A
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the longest & biggest you can afford. Diesels will cost you more for maintenance than gas, but they are much better to drove, ride in, etc IMHO.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Chowan wrote:
Gotta laugh. This is more than a drift. This is like a 90* left hand turn. Thanks for sharing your concerns about smells. I never thought about it. Seriously you might find more info if you start a new thread about smells.

Yeah I know ๐Ÿ˜ฎ But once you walk into a coach with that formaldehyde smell (or any other smell) you will know what I mean and it does not go away, you just get used to it (or not) and stop smelling it until you get off the coach for a week or more.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta laugh. This is more than a drift. This is like a 90* left hand turn. Thanks for sharing your concerns about smells. I never thought about it. Seriously you might find more info if you start a new thread about smells.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thom,
Contributing to a bit of thread drift here:
Our 2001 Damon had a distinctive aroma that never did go away in three years.
Our 2004 Southwind may have had some such aroma, but it never was an issue for us.
Our current 2012 Phaeton, by Tiffin has no such aroma or any indication of out gassing. Although Tiffin builds several "levels" of coach they all come down the same lines and I am sure they do not change adhesives or basic construction methods between the lines. They do not advertise as "green" and I am not aware of any motorhome builder that does such as the Evergreen towables does. Our son has an Evergreen and I have to say it is the only towable I have been in that does not have a distinctive odor of out gassing.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526